Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Northwest Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics

» Women's Self Defense Class - Saturday June 8th 2024 1PM to 3:00 PM - Seattle
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 10:48 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - Wisdom Warriors of Newport - Beginner Series 4e
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - RIFTS
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm by Teramotos

» Pathfinder 2e Wanderer's Guide Upgrade
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm by Ross

» Fallout on Amazon Prime Video
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am by Ross

» Adventure Logs - Shaelrick Adventures - PF2e
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 7:34 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! Saturday April 6th Pathfinder 2e Continued
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 am by Krystoff

» Adventure Logs - The Eastern Knights
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm by Teramotos

» Savage Rifts Advancement/Rank
Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Teramotos

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 801 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm

+3
Ross
Dwarmaj
Trevor
7 posters

Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning.

Krystoff
    Krystoff

Number of posts : 1677
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 Empty Re: Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning.

Post by Krystoff Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 am

Brad,

I meant the phone line as it goes into the house. Outside all homes there is a phone box that has a access for the homeowners. All phone lines into the house go through this box and usually go into the wall or ground from the box or occasionally a line is run along the outside of the house. I want to cut that line as it goes into the house right near the box.

The box is usually located right near the other utilities (electric meter, gas line, cable lines) and is very easy to spot and get to. That's why I wanted to cut it because it would take no time.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-install-telephone-wiring.html
    Scroll down a bit to see what the box looks like.

Kenji

Number of posts : 3459

Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning. - Page 3 Empty Re: Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning.

Post by Kenji Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

And any hs student would know this? (I didn't...) We'll go with it to save time, but in the future, I think this ought to have a knowledge check of some sort. Thoughts?

Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Number of posts : 5285
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Post by Dwarmaj Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 am

bradly wrote:And any hs student would know this? (I didn't...) We'll go with it to save time, but in the future, I think this ought to have a knowledge check of some sort. Thoughts?

A Knowledge check would work, but he did say his PC was heavy into computers. Anyone with a PDA could look it up in a minute or so.

Also, newer homes don't have lines that run from the roof of the house to a telephone pole. They go from the house to a box next to the house. Then they go underground to the pole or to a junction box where wiring from several homes are terminated.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 am

Dwarmaj wrote:A Knowledge check would work, but he did say his PC was heavy into computers.

True, but on the other hand Ember said she studies arcana, and that's still a check. Say DC15 and consider Ashe trained? How shall we work this stuff going forward?
    Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 am

I would think any curious kid that has lived in a home might know that. I agree a knowledge check would be appropriate or if the person has a little time. A quick google search for "How to cut a phone line into a house" showed me the same basic information I gave.

Here are the scenarios that have caused me to actually work on my NID on my home.
    Setting up DSL. You need to place a filter on the other lines so that it cuts out some noise.

Setting up FiOS. The tech needed to get to the box and I helped.

Troubleshooting phone lines. I have a couple phone lines in my house that don't work. The wiring got messed up somewhere in the house and I needed to check the NID to see if the lines were working at the box.

Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 am

I think we are going to have to figure out knowledge checks and skills in general for the modern world.

It might be hard to fit some modern skills into the basic skills D&D comes with.

Computers/Tech is one of the ones that jumps off the page for me.

There are three Int based skills (Arcana, History, and Religion). Running a DVD player doesn't really fit into any of those but your average 10 year old can run them with ease. Same goes with cell phones these days.

jibuki
    jibuki

Number of posts : 509
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by jibuki Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:27 pm

I actually know where the phone lines connect to my house also. The tech showed me in case we ever have an outage.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm

jibuki wrote:I actually know where the phone lines connect to my house also. The tech showed me in case we ever have an outage.

You both aren't fresh out of hs though! (Though the PCs do have 'superhero stats'...) Yeah, that's why I redid the 1st round.
    Trevor
    Trevor

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by Trevor Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Uh, I knew which line was the phone before I even graduated from high school. I did a lot of work around the house for my mom, and figuring out which utilities are what is pretty easy. Power lines are big cables running into a big junction box, phone line is a small cable running into a small junction box.
    Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Number of posts : 3868

Character sheet
    Campaign: 4e-Against the Giants
    Character Name: Kazoo Noisemaker
    Player Name: Ross

Post by Ross Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I found the phone lines at my parents house when I was in Grade School.

Silk - Human/Hexblade [4e-Dark Nights Rising Campaign]
    Kazoo - Halfling(Kender)/Hybrid(Rogue/Druid) [4e-Against the Giants]
    Morbius Von Kas - Vryloka/Blackguard [4e-Rainbow Warriors Campaign]
    Man'Tis Man'Todea - Thri-Kreen/Berserker [4e-Slave Lords Campaign]
    Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Shandral Aurlong - Human/Sorcerer [5e-Horde of the Dragon Queen Campaign]
    Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
    Battlefield Soldier: Saturnicus
    Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
    Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
    XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
    Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am

Seems like it all depends on your interests. People so far who have responded that they knew about them early in life are an engineer and computer guys.

I still think a knowledge check should apply with the ability to take 10 or 20 if you have access to the net and some time. Bonuses to the roll should be given as needed/depending on circumstance.

Trevor
    Trevor

Post by Trevor Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Eh, houses aren't very high-tech. I can understand an intelligence skill check for hacking a computer, rewiring an electric door lock, or wiretapping a phone line, but general information about building construction seems like it should be wisdom-based. Kind of like how dungeoneering is a wisdom skill.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Trevor wrote:Eh, houses aren't very high-tech. I can understand an intelligence skill check for hacking a computer, rewiring an electric door lock, or wiretapping a phone line, but general information about building construction seems like it should be wisdom-based. Kind of like how dungeoneering is a wisdom skill.

Wise! Very Happy
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:22 pm

bradly wrote:
    jibuki wrote:So angelus and telgarth heard something being slid in front of the door?

How from our current location to Blade's door?

Yes, I finally got the map working again. The big desk in picture was moved to block door. It's more than 1 turn's move/move to get to the other door.

Ken, I just noticed the 2 times the map wasn't working the file size is 18k instead of 1,800, do you know what's causing that?

It sounds like the screen shot was corrupted somehow. I'd have to see the raw files to see what's going on though. If you look at the files do they have a .png extension?

Hosted images need to have a .png, jpg, or other image extension. After that the file themselves must be valid or they can't be hosted.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Is it possible to break through a window as part of a move?

It seemed the NPCs did that in the last encounter at the cabin.

Or is a standard to break the window, then you have to move through?

Can you dive through a window (and not be prone on the other side)?
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:Is it possible to break through a window as part of a move?

The NPCs took a standard action to open the window, not break it, it's just that the other 2 ran through when the 3rd opened it.

I'd say normally it's seperate actions to break and move through a window. If you were shooting the glass while running towards it maybe...

I'd think it's an acrobatics check (I'd say DC15) to tumble and end upright.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 am

bradly wrote:
    Dwarmaj wrote:Is it possible to break through a window as part of a move?

The NPCs took a standard action to open the window, not break it, it's just that the other 2 ran through when the 3rd opened it.

I'd say normally it's seperate actions to break and move through a window. If you were shooting the glass while running towards it maybe...

I'd think it's an acrobatics check (I'd say DC15) to tumble and end upright.

https://nwgamers.forumotion.com/t854p60-family-time-angelus-ember#14216

Hmm, according to the post the NPC broke the window and moved more than 6 (move/move?).
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 am

Note:
    The tokens I built for Brad have full descriptions of the PCs At-Will, Encounter, Daily, and Magic Item powers.

It shouldn't be necessary to repost full descriptions, but a reminder of an additional bonus to hit or AC may be warranted...
    Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Character sheet

Post by Ross Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:00 am

Great. I'll stop posting the powers.

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Krystoff wrote:Ashe will delay until after Ember.

Minor: Mark the vampire to my east.
    Move: Shift SW
    Standard: Flame Spiral choosing all three enemies in burst two. Note the +1 damage from the Siberys Shard applies to this attack since I can use it through the Sunblade.

Note: Any enemy that starts its turn next to me or enters a square next to me takes fire damage = 1d6 + 13 (6 STR + 6 CHA + 1 Astral Fire) I don't believe the sword applies to the aura. If it does it will be the +16.

Should already be added in...

Flaming Spiral shows up as +12 to hit and 1d10+15 damage

An enemy starting adjacent takes 1d4+9
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Guess you're right on no resting while driving...

Drove to Vancouver and back today. Was fine after the 3 hour drive there, but beat after the 3 hour drive back.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:Guess you're right on no resting while driving...

Drove to Vancouver and back today. Was fine after the 3 hour drive there, but beat after the 3 hour drive back.

Hope it was a fun trip...
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:14 pm

bradly wrote:
    Dwarmaj wrote:Guess you're right on no resting while driving...

Hope it was a fun trip...

It was for Jorren's kendo tournament. He got third place in individuals and 3rd place for team.

I posted a video of the match on facebook where he got third place. His opponant threw an uppercut which knocked Jorren down. The judges gave the guy a warning (since it was an illegal push and he did the same thing in a previous match), then Jorren eliminated him 2-0. Jorren was feeling pretty good after that. Smile

Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 am

Just curious...

Is it hard for people to figure out whose turn it is?

Should we have time limits on turns? Possibly 24 hours...

Thoughts...
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon May 09, 2011 10:14 am

That sounds good, but with allowances for weekends since lots of times we're out of town or whatever.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon May 09, 2011 12:48 pm

bradly wrote:
    Trevor wrote:
    PS: I'm out of healing now so spend your second winds from now on if you still have them.

Uh oh.

...I just noticed; Only 2 PCs have healing potions? I thought I gave out more than that, I know Ember has the brew potion feat, and there was no leader until Aura joined... This battle might be a little hairier than I thought! Shocked

Post Script: How long does it take to brew (healing) potions? I might change when the Eve of St Vigeus is so the party has a couple more potions... (alternatively, did they change the rules so Undead heal with healing potions too? I know it used to be Cause LW that healed Undead, but I think they changed that...) The baddies in the final online encounter might hit pretty hard...
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Anyone who has healing surges can use healing potions.

I know Ember made four healing potions for herself and four for Angelus. I'm not sure how many she made for other PCs.

Creating a potion takes one hour.

Brew Potion
    Liquids brew and bubble, coalescing the raw substance of magic into a form you can drink.

Component Cost: Special
    Market Price: 75 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana or Religion (no check)Level: 1
    Category: Creation
    Time: 1 hour
    Duration: Permanent until consumed

You create a common potion or elixir of your level or lower. The ritual’s component cost is equal to the price of the potion or elixir you create.

Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:Anyone who has healing surges can use healing potions.

I know Ember made four healing potions for herself and four for Angelus. I'm not sure how many she made for other PCs.

Creating a potion takes one hour.

According to the PP&T thread, only you 2 have any healing potions. 1 hour is perfect! I won't have to alter a thing to help out the party. (I had old rules in mind where it was 1 day min, I think...)
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 pm

bradly wrote:
    According to the PP&T thread, only you 2 have any healing potions. 1 hour is perfect! I won't have to alter a thing to help out the party. (I had old rules in mind where it was 1 day min, I think...)

1 hour per potion... and I'm not sure if you can rest while you're making things using the standard rules. I know I house ruled that in the pyramid adventure.
    Mick
    Mick

Number of posts : 1671
    Registration date : 2008-12-03

Post by Mick Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 pm

I made 8 for myself.

ITEMS
    Spellbook, Shimmering Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Amulet of Protection +2, Defensive Staff +1, Ghoststride Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier), Mindwarp staff of Ruin +2, Potion of Healing (heroic tier)(X8)

Post 31, Ember's Magical Emporium
    Some of you may want to request some healing potions.
    I'm making 4 for Angelus and 8 for myself.

Nobody else requested any.
    Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Looks like Ross asked for 4 of them after that post and I know I didn't see it otherwise I would have. Healing pots are very nice to have.

Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Mick wrote:
    Nobody else requested any.

Only a few baddies left, but the whole party is hovering around bloodied except for Aura (with the lowest defenses) and Ember (who's about to take 10 ongoing)... A dominated Telgarth could potentially drop whoever he ends up charging! Twisted Evil

I hope a few more Slayers get some potions before St Vigeus...
    Mick
    Mick

Post by Mick Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 pm

When is St Vigeus? Tomorrow?
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Mick wrote:When is St Vigeus? Tomorrow?

You don't know yet until you get back to your Watcher, Giles is looking that up while you guys are fighting. But when you get back, you find out that St Vigeus is an ancient Vampire Lord who discovered an astrological event that provides a great boost to dark rituals, and the moon, planets, align for it roughly 2x/century: 6 months ago, and in 3 days (nights). The next alignment after that will be in 116 years.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 am

bradly wrote:Angelus bravely goes for offense over healing dispite only having 11 hits (I'm guessing thinking he'll get to use his racial ability...)

Yea, since I don't go unconscious when I first go below zero I get more out of healing.

If someone hits me and I go to -15 I can drink a healing potion and go to +10, a 25hp swing. As long as I don't go more than -29hp...
    Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 am

Just as a note Ashe is at:
    Ashe: 33/58 11/13 dominated

Kenji

Post by Kenji Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 am

Krystoff wrote:Just as a note Ashe is at:
    Ashe: 33/58 11/13 dominated

Whoops! Yeah, I put Angelus' stats under Ashe (& left Angelus blank). Thanks for the catch.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 am

I'll update the power if it's wrong when I send an updated Angelus token.

Fallen Needle [Attack Technique]
    Monk Attack 1
    A single, sharp blow readies you to step away at a moment’s notice.

At-Will Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic
    Standard Action Melee touch

Target: One creature

Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex

Hit: 1d10 + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.

Fallen Needle [Movement Technique]
    A single, sharp blow readies you to step away at a moment’s notice.

At-Will Full Discipline, Psionic
    Minor Action Personal

Effect: You shift 1 square or move 3 squares.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am

NP. Token says "move; shift 1 sq & gain +1 power bonus to def"
    Trevor
    Trevor

Post by Trevor Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey brad, way back at the beginning of this encounter when I moved in through the door past the vamp, did that movement use my Action Point or not?
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Trevor wrote:Hey brad, way back at the beginning of this encounter when I moved in through the door past the vamp, did that movement use my Action Point or not?

I didn't look back through all the threads, but I don't think so then. Not sure about later though... did you use an AP to heal? I'll check tonight.
    Trevor
    Trevor

Post by Trevor Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Nope, I didn't use it to heal (page 17). Guess I still have it then. Good to know.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:05 am

Brad, I'll keep Angelus as a Half-Elf Stone Fist monk and continue to use the same token from the last battle.

The reason I was switching to Sharar-Kia was because Half-Elf Soul was removed from the Compendium and the Character Builder in April.

It was added back into the Compendium in May and I'm hoping they'll add it back into the Character Builder soon.

If for some reason they don't and remove it from the Compendium again, I'll have to switch back... Sad

Note:
    The reason for being Half-Elf is to get Twin Strike as an At-Will power at 11th level. (Half-Elf Soul gets access to Twin Strike and Versatile Master makes it an At-Will).
    Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 am

Item discussion - Took a look at everyone's wish list and listed them out here next to the item.

Raven cloak, -- Angelus,
    Translocator cloak +2, -- Blade
    Symbol of the Champion, -- Ashe
    Karvark Circlet, -- Ember (listed as Karuuk's)
    Bloodthread cloth +2, --Angelus, Telgarth
    Endless quiver, -- Aura
    Cat Tabi -- Aura

Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Krystoff wrote:Item discussion - Took a look at everyone's wish list and listed them out here next to the item.

Raven cloak, -- Angelus,
    Translocator cloak +2, -- Blade
    Symbol of the Champion, -- Ashe
    Karvark Circlet, -- Ember (listed as Karuuk's)
    Bloodthread cloth +2, --Angelus, Telgarth
    Endless quiver, -- Aura
    Cat Tabi -- Aura

Thanks

It looks like Angelus will get the cloak and Telgarth get the armor.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Not to give too much away or anything, but I need to know where everyone stays the night for the next couple nights until St Vigeous (3 nights away). Something might happen...
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm

bradly wrote:Not to give too much away or anything, but I need to know where everyone stays the night for the next couple nights until St Vigeous (3 nights away). Something might happen...

What are our options?

Since we just had a big battle and we believe another is coming soon I'd think we'd want to stick together. You never know though...

Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Character sheet

Post by Ross Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 pm

/agree

Krystoff
    Krystoff

Post by Krystoff Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Yeah lets stick together. If it wasn't for the hole to vampire town I would say lets stay here. As it is we should probably burn the place.

Mick
    Mick

Post by Mick Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 am

Ember is going to brew 4 new healing potion to replace the ones used.
    Also brew 2 potion of resistance Necrotic

Anybody else need a potion or item made before the next big encounter?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am