Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buffy-verse thread of discussion and planning.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

I'd like to try something to see if it streamlines the online gameplay some. I got the idea from another forum I've been playing an online play-by-post game of DnD on.

So, the idea is, any rules-lawyery, questions for the DM, or strategy discussion among players goes in this thread. That way just the story, roleplaying, and character actions (with dice rolls) remain in the actual gameplay thread, which should make it a bit easier to follow.

Shall we give it a shot?

View user profile
We already do that... mostly.

There's the Rules Forum on the main page.

There's also a discussion area under People & Places.

Sometimes rules issues do come up and a quick copy and paste is the easiest thing to do.

If a discussion is warrented then we usually move it to the Rules forum and either wait for it to get resolved or make a quick ruling and move on while discussing it further for future situations.

View user profile
I know there is a specific forum for Rules-Lawyery on a grand scale. I just mean small stuff like "is a particular move legal in this situation?" could be discussed in here.

Other examples: all the questions about roof heights and distances that have been going on recently. Or all the mathematical discussion about how many live survivors chained to how many posts that went on in the altar room adventure. Things like that.

View user profile

Ross

Admin
We usually just start up a new thread whenever something comes up. This also makes it easier to find by looking up the subject.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
I guess all I'm really trying to do is make a space for OOC comments and discussion so that IC conversation and actions are less interrupted in the roleplaying thread.

To kick things off: I have a 75% chance of making this rooftop jump, so I am going to be very sad if I get a bad roll and Aura's grand introduction is her falling on her face off a building.

View user profile

Ross

Admin
Sets the tone of the character. Wink

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
Actually it may be less than 75% chance. With a long jump and running start you divide your check by 5, but does the result have to be the number of squares your are trying to clear, or the number of squares you are trying to clear plus one for the square it is safe to land on?

View user profile
When moving (or jumping), you don't count the square you're moving from, but you do count the square you're moving to (or landing onto).

View user profile
So in order to clear the 15 foot gap between rooftops I actually need a jump check good enough to make 20 feet so I land on the other side huh? That brings my success rate down to around 50/50. This could be ugly.

View user profile
Yes! Made it!

Also, there seem to be two Ashes now Brad.

View user profile
Trevor wrote:Yes! Made it!

Also, there seem to be two Ashes now Brad.

I know! For some reason Ashe's token vanished (I was going to post stuff last night), then I finally imported another Ashe, then the vanished Ashe came back. Technical glitch. Btw, I assume it's legal that your spirit companion can fly/float...

View user profile
Yeah, it's the same as Ross' kitty spirit companion. Since they have the conjuration keyword they don't have to be supported by solid ground.

View user profile
Does Bigby's Icy Grasp occupy a square? Can an ally shift through it?

View user profile
Effect: You conjure a 5-foot-tall hand of ice in an unoccupied
square within range, and the hand attacks.

I would say yes it occupies a square.
I would think it's possible for an ally to shift thru it's square but I don't know for sure.

View user profile
It doesn't say if it takes up a space, but it must be created in an unoccupied space.

Bigby's Icy Grasp
You conjure a giant floating hand made of chiseled ice that clutches foes and freezes them.

Daily Arcane, Cold, Conjuration, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 20

Effect: You conjure a 5-foot-tall hand of ice in an unoccupied square within range, and the hand attacks. As a move action, you can move the hand up to 6 squares.

Target: One creature adjacent to the hand

Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the hand grabs the target. If the target attempts to escape, the hand uses your Fortitude or Reflex defense.

Sustain Minor: A target grabbed by the hand takes 1d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage when you sustain this power. As a standard action, you can attack another target with the hand, but it must release a target it has grabbed.

Conjuration
An effect type. A conjuration power produces a conjuration, which is a creation of magical energy that resembles a creature, an object, or some other phenomenon. Even if a conjuration looks like a creature or displays some degree of sentience, it is not considered a creature. Unless otherwise noted, a conjuration uses the following rules.

Occupies No Squares: The conjuration occupies no squares. The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air.

Unaffected by the Environment: Terrain and environmental phenomena have no effect on the conjuration. For instance, a conjuration that is an icy hand functions in an inferno without penalty.

Creator’s Defenses: Normally, a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected. If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator’s defenses. Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack’s damage (not including ongoing damage) affects the conjuration. For instance, an attack power that would cause a creature to take 20 cold damage and become immobilized would instead deal only the cold damage to a conjuration.

Attacking with a Conjuration: Normally, a conjuration cannot attack. If a conjuration can attack, its creator makes the attack, determining line of effect from the conjuration as if the creator were in the conjuration’s space. If line of sight is relevant, determine it from the creator, not the conjuration.

Movable Conjurations: If the power used to create a conjuration allows it to be moved, it’s a movable conjuration. At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration.
A conjuration can’t be moved through blocking terrain.

Death Ends: A conjuration ends immediately if its creator dies.

View user profile
It looks like after it is created it does not take up a square and anyone can move through its space.

The Flaming Sphere spell specifically says it takes up a square, Bigby's doesn't.

View user profile
bradly wrote:Aura is 11 squares from the spirit companion. Do you need to maintain, or does it stay there?
It stays there. It can be up to 20 squares away from me, and on a move action I can move myself, it, or both. In this case I want it to stay there so it's between the rooftop vamps and me.

Also, the flameburst bow doesn't shoot fire arrows on a ranged basic attack, so if you are adding damage or stopping regen or anything like that, you shouldn't be. Unless of course you gave me a flaming longbow which is level 10 instead of the flameburst's level 8. I wouldn't refuse it if you did. Wink

View user profile
I meant the one on your wishlist, and I did add +2 to-hit/damage above the token since it has an enhancement bonus, but the text was mainly flavor.

FYI, Aura's former Watcher gave her a lot of bum information, and fire doesn't stop a Vamp's regeneration. (only sunlight or radiant does) Fire is one of the few things that can dust a Vamp though.

Note: You can make it a level 10 item if you wish if it's still a +2 weapon. (Everybody has a +2 weapon or implement). Trying to keep things relatively comperable, that'll just mean your other future items you'll find will be lower level or fewer, that's all. Must decide now though, obviously...

View user profile
No, I am fine with the level 8 flameburst since a wooden arrow is just as good at dusting a vamp as one that's on fire. Might as well get some better other equip.

View user profile
bradly wrote:
Note: token has Avenging Shackles as 1d8 +6 wis +1 enh. What's the other +3? (adding damage, but remind me next time if token is wrong)

When I created the token I used the damage displayed in the Character Builder. It didn't use the Holy Symbol even though it was equipped.

Telgarths Avenging Shackles should be +11 to hit and 1d8+10 damage.

+6 wis
+2 enhancement
+2 from Astral Symbol

View user profile
Dwarmaj wrote:Telgarths Avenging Shackles should be +11 to hit and 1d8+10 damage.

+6 wis
+2 enhancement
+2 from Astral Symbol

Got it. Jeff, I'll try to remember, but it might help me out if you reminded me of this at least the next couple uses...

View user profile
Hmm, when I load up the copy of the token I have for him it shows the correct to hit/damage.

If you "mouse over" attack and damage rolls for Avenging Shackles, what does it say? Does it show that he's using the Sun Disk of Pelor as a weapon?

Did you use a different attack?

View user profile
Dwarmaj wrote:Hmm, when I load up the copy of the token I have for him it shows the correct to hit/damage.

Fixed! It said 'Vengeful longsword implement', but then I remembered you already caught this & sent me a second, updated token for Telgarth. (I was still using the old one). I switched it now so things should be good.

View user profile
bradly wrote:
The doorway is now blocked. (Also, isn't BIG range 10? I think you would have moved out of it's range.)

Bigby's Icy Grasp has a range of 20

As long as he spends a minor action (and maintains Line of Effect) he can sustain it.

View user profile
jibuki wrote:Avenging Resolution
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Avenger, oath of enmity power
Benefit: When you attack a target of your oath of enmity with a weapon attack, treat all rolls of a 1 or 2 on the damage dice as though the result were a 3 on the die.

Sorry, the token currently doesn't handle "Brutal" (treating a roll of 1 as a 2).

The closest thing I can do is change the range of damage, but that lowers the probability range and skewes the numbers.

I think Brad will have to keep in mind that you have the "brutal 1" quality on all melee (non-implement) attacks on you're oath target.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum