Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Northwest Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics

» Adventure Logs - Wisdom Warriors of Newport - Beginner Series 4e
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyToday at 12:50 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - RIFTS
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm by Teramotos

» Pathfinder 2e Wanderer's Guide Upgrade
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm by Ross

» Fallout on Amazon Prime Video
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am by Ross

» Adventure Logs - Shaelrick Adventures - PF2e
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 7:34 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! Saturday April 6th Pathfinder 2e Continued
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 am by Krystoff

» Adventure Logs - The Eastern Knights
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm by Teramotos

» Savage Rifts Advancement/Rank
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! Friday 8 March - Pathfinder 2e Newport Hills 6 PM
WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 6:29 am by Teramotos

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 801 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm

5 posters

WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Number of posts : 4851
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th Empty WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th

Post by Teramotos Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 am

Hey, that was fun! What did you all think? Of the missions so far, this is the one I spent the LEAST amount of time prep'ing for. I want to know if it seemed like this adventure was more hastily put together than the others.

Okay, now for my comments...
    Yep, if the party had tried to crawl between the Strong Points, the chances were good (if Hayden lead the way) of not having any encounter. If there was an encounter, it would have been an easy EL5 with the possibility of an EL8 if the EL5 wasn't dealt with quickly and without an excessive amount of noise. As it turns out, the party decided to go the prior route which the Royalist knew the Rebels had used before. Thus SF Black ran into an EL6 ambush. I thought the party dispatched the bad guys fairly effectively here. Yeah, Ken was on the receiving end of some RED HOT dice rolling by the DM and Kara got blitzed and had to fall back. To balance out the DM's hot dice, Hunter was a damage dealing machine all during this battle.

I liked the little meeting engagement on the way to the ambush location. Hayden got himself into some serious trouble in this EL 10 matchup. Making the battle even more difficult was that there wasn't too much cover and 2/3rd of the enemy had superior mobility. The spearmen had some significant advantages if they stuck together but they made them ready targets for Kara's Blazing Starfalls. Cedarick fought a smart battle here and rallied the players to try to concentrate on one enemy at a time. Due to this being a running battle with attacks coming from all directions and every PC (except Cedarick) being engaged by adjacent enemies or the threat of Royalists charging and meleeing (horses cover alot of ground) the bad guys went down a whole lot slower this battle and it turned into a battle of attrition near the end. If would have been alot worse for the party if instead of four Swordsmen/Crossbowmen, I put in four Holy Archers (dazing/fire/poison/radiant damage) instead.

Once at the highway, the encounters were as follows; 1st 12 man squad led by a Master of Blades EL6; 2nd 14 man squad w 10 minions, 3 8th Level Swordsmen, and 1 Leader EL7; large 26 man platoon EL 10; 2nd 12 man squad that the party did attack - EL6 and the Paladin of Bane EL 10.

I thought the party finished off the enemy patrol with a fair amount of effectiveness; everything went about as well as it could have. Yeah, Cedarick and Kara each took a 22 hit point Crit, but whatcha gonna do about that?

Finally, I thought the plan at the end, to avoid the last fight was awesome. Yeah, even a young black dragon is a pretty fierce opponent. This was anywhere from an EL12 (with the dragon, horsemen and footmen) to an EL8 (just the footmen). So, three battles fought, four battles avoided, one situation resolved by clever planning, and one trap handled, nine encounters to the party's credit.

Again let me know how this adventure compared to the others and comment on how you thought the party worked together or could have done things better.

Sonya Morecut (Human Warlord) - SG1
    Whey Baker (Human Fighter) - SG1
    Archemedies - (Githyanki Artificer) - Slave Ship
    Alysa Redfield (Human Archer Warlord) - Dark Nights Rising
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Number of posts : 5285
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th Empty Re: WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th

Post by Dwarmaj Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 am

I think my PC is cursed...

Instead of wearing plate armor I think my PC could have been wearing cloth and probably wouldn't have taken much more damage. The attacks against Kara were either really low misses or really high hits (mostly really high hits...)

The encounters themselves were fine, but did run a bit long. I did wish we had fought the last encounter, though I have a feeling we'll probrably see the dragon again...
    Kenji

Number of posts : 3459
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th Empty Re: WAR! - DM Comments - The Hide and Seek Mission March 12th

Post by Kenji Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 am

Dwarmaj wrote:I think my PC is cursed...

Or, you just got all the bad rolls out of the way already! :-)

I liked the adventure. The PC choices were more than "do you want to go left, right, or straight?", there were plenty of details to flesh out the world, but none that we were required to memorize, and the action was entertaining. Good adventure.
    Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Number of posts : 3867
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Character sheet
    Campaign: 4e-Against the Giants
    Character Name: Kazoo Noisemaker
    Player Name: Ross

Post by Ross Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 am

One of the best War adventures. Maybe you shouldn't spend as much time preparing. Smile

I have a feeling we aren't going to have as easy of a time in the future if we have to rescue someone again.

Silk - Human/Hexblade [4e-Dark Nights Rising Campaign]
    Kazoo - Halfling(Kender)/Hybrid(Rogue/Druid) [4e-Against the Giants]
    Morbius Von Kas - Vryloka/Blackguard [4e-Rainbow Warriors Campaign]
    Man'Tis Man'Todea - Thri-Kreen/Berserker [4e-Slave Lords Campaign]
    Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Shandral Aurlong - Human/Sorcerer [5e-Horde of the Dragon Queen Campaign]
    Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
    Battlefield Soldier: Saturnicus
    Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
    Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
    XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
    Trevor
    Trevor

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by Trevor Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm

I had fun. Hunter did what Hunter does best in this mission, only occasionally foiled by some bad rolls. He seems to be getting quite a bit more fun to play as he gets more powers and feats available to him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am