Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Northwest Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics

» Adventure Logs - At the Ready!
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyMon May 13, 2024 9:09 pm by Teramotos

» Women's Self Defense Class - Saturday June 8th 2024 1PM to 3:00 PM - Seattle
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyThu May 02, 2024 10:48 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - Wisdom Warriors of Newport - Beginner Series 4e
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - RIFTS
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm by Teramotos

» Pathfinder 2e Wanderer's Guide Upgrade
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm by Ross

» Fallout on Amazon Prime Video
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am by Ross

» Adventure Logs - Shaelrick Adventures - PF2e
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 7:34 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! Saturday April 6th Pathfinder 2e Continued
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 am by Krystoff

» Adventure Logs - The Eastern Knights
Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm by Teramotos

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 801 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm

3 posters

Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Number of posts : 4854
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya Empty Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya

Post by Teramotos Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:04 pm

If you want to see some neat martial arts for free, see the schedule below.

Martial Arts & Entertainment (Renton)
    June 12, 2010 - June 13, 2010 (Daily)
    (Owner: administrator@uwajimaya.com)
    Come to our Renton store this weekend for free live entertainment. Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm.

Saturday:
    11:00 Washington Black Belt Academy
    11:45 Akustik Vibe
    12:30 Xclusive Dance Crew
    2:15 Seattle Wushu Center
    3:45 Rheanna Atendido
    4:30 Kim's Tae Kwon Do

Sunday:
    11:00 Kim's Tae Kwon Do
    11:45 Seattle Pinoy Band
    2:00 PAYO-Philippine Youth Association Organization
    3:00 Seattle Wushu Center
    3:45 PAYO-Philippine Youth Association Organization
    4:45 Bellevue Martial Arts/World Filipino MA Association
    5:30 IDIC Young Once.

Last edited by Teramotos on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change Title)

Sonya Morecut (Human Warlord) - SG1
    Whey Baker (Human Fighter) - SG1
    Archemedies - (Githyanki Artificer) - Slave Ship
    Alysa Redfield (Human Archer Warlord) - Dark Nights Rising
    Teramotos
    Teramotos

Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya Empty Re: Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya

Post by Teramotos Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:34 am

On Saturday, the WA BBA is also TaeKwonDo and one of our school's main competitors; they might be worth a look. The Wushu one sounds pretty good.

Kobe and I will be in the Sunday performance.
    Anyone who wants to see the Karate Kid movie, meet me and Kobe after the demo on Sunday at around noon and we'll grab lunch at the shopping complex if we have time and then hit the movie.

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya Empty Re: Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya

Post by Teramotos Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm

...here's a review. Oh, Kobe and I are definately going to be in the Sunday demo. My niece Kellie is going to be in the Saturday demo.

When a child star is cute and has a few instinctual acting moves, that's probably enough to get him by.
    Jaden Smith, who stars in the new remake of "The Karate Kid," scores on both counts, but he also has something that's rare to see in a child actor. He's got presence.
    As Dre Parker, a pensive and fatherless 12-year-old from Detroit whose mother (Taraji P. Henson) gets transferred to the forbidding city of Beijing (the extreme move isn't really explained -- I mean, couldn't she have been sent off to, you know, Denver?), Smith holds the screen while doing next to nothing, just standing there, silent and inquisitive, trying to figure out an angle on the situation that's closing in on him.
    Smith, of course, is the son of Hollywood royalty (his parents are Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith), and you don't have to look hard to see traces, especially, of his father -- the cool glare of appraisal, the quickness of his fury.
    With his nifty cornrows (a junior rapper's 'do that marks how much he's grown up since "The Pursuit of Happyness"), Smith looks like an intensely aware goldfish.
    As Dre, he gets knocked down by bullies and drawn to the sweet sparkle of a teen violinist, but whomever he shares the screen with, he combines a kid's directness with an adult's way of holding himself in check. Though it's not too varied a performance, Smith, like his father, acts with an emotional ease that's almost gymnastic.
    A remake of the 1984 go-for-it classic, the new "Karate Kid" is longer than the original film (it's 140 minutes) and a couple of shades more downbeat, with Dre as a lonely Odd Kid Out in the bustling bureaucratic China that is his new home.
    Jackie Chan has a corresponding melancholy as the maintenance man who teaches Dre the art of kung fu. (Yes, they should have called it "The Kung Fu Kid" -- but you don't mess with brand titles like this one.)
    All in all, "The Karate Kid" is a more somber, less playful movie than the original, but at heart it's the same old irresistible candy corn.
    I did, for a while, miss the sly, poker-faced humor that Pat Morita brought to the role of Mr. Miyagi. When Chan's Mr. Han begins Dre's training by ordering him to hang his jacket on a hook, then throw it on the floor, pick it up, and do it all again and again, it's a variation on the wax-on, wax-off gimmickry of the first film.
    Morita, though, let us know that he was enjoying the slightly sadistic joke of the Zen discipline he was enforcing. Chan, in a scruffy goatee, plays Han as very serious, almost morose, in his mission. He makes the guru-mentor slightly damaged goods; Han needs this kid as much as the kid needs him. Their earnestness grows on you, though. The bond these two share is sincere and touching.
    The movie builds, of course, to the big kung fu tournament, in which Dre finally faces down a bully who has been trained to fight with ''no mercy.''
    It's a piece of inspirational hokum that works nicely, though I do wish the film had been a bit more ingenious about shoehorning in the famous Ralph Macchio ''crane'' stance.
    That said, "The Karate Kid" is fun, and believable, on the most important level: It convinces us that Jaden Smith has what it takes to fight his way to the top.
    EW grade: B

Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Number of posts : 5285
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Post by Dwarmaj Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Saw the movie, it was ok...

I'm glad it wasn't a copy of the original but thought they could have focused a bit more on the tournament.
    Teramotos
    Teramotos

Post by Teramotos Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 pm

change of plans, going to try to see it Saturday night as we now have early dinner plans Sunday...

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Post by Teramotos Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 am

Brad, Kevin, myself, and Kobe, my 10 year old nephew Brian, and Kobe's 9 year old friend Keegan all saw the Karate Kid on Saturday. We all liked it. I think Brad like it the best.
    I was entertained, even though I knew what was going to happen (in general terms), Jackie Chan can still do some amazing martial arts. There could have been some more fight scenes (e.g. what Ken said, concentrate more on the tourney). I'll give it a B+ just because the matches during the tourney could have been filmed cleaner.
    Someday, Jayden Smith is going to be a leading role, action star.

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Post by Teramotos Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 am

...oh, and during Sunday's demo, the knife fell out of my belt (that's really never happened before) so we got a little off sinc and Kobe got me with an unexpected side kick as I had to pick up the knife. The fact that our weapons' demo was a little bumpy I think rattled Kobe a bit and he then was out of sinc during a syncronized form he was asked to do... well, at least there weren't that many people in the audience (like 20) compared to last Thursday (hundreds) night when we did much better.

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Post by Teramotos Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X82tNcYvEOI

My gosh, Kobe and I are on YouTube! Seattle Pinoy TV filmed and edited the demo, cool.

Kenji

Number of posts : 3459
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by Kenji Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:16 pm

That is cool! You & Kobe were definitely the best! Mainly Kobe... Karate Kid 2010 and Martial Arts Day @ Renton Uwajimaya Icon_biggrin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:14 am