Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Friday

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Friday on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 pm

Lord Gamwich may be interested in a surprise return come friday.

View user profile

2 Re: Friday on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 pm

If you need help building a character, let me know.

You may want to take a look on the WotC site:

Char Info

Lots of info on building PCs and strategies.

View user profile

3 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 am

Welcome (back)! FYI, Ross' campaign is a normal 32-pt buy campaign, but mine is a 'superhero' campaign and all PCs have boosted stats (all 20s to start). In mine, there's a Dwarven fighter already built that just needs to be leveled up since he hasn't played in a while...

View user profile

4 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 am

Brad, can you post the Arilius clan name list?

View user profile

5 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 am

Yes, eventhough I have characters from the past...I am completely new to this computer based system. I could definitely use the help going forward, if Dwarmaj or anyone else is available.

Thanks

View user profile

6 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 am

Contrary to public opinion, Fighters aren't the easiest class to play effectively. They have to be built properly and fullfil a particular role in the party.

I've seen several player try to play a Fighter that really should be playing a striker since they charge off into the fray leaving the "squishier" characters unprotected.

In selecting a new character the most imprtant thing is to decide what type of character do you want to play.

Do you want to be a protector of the party and draw enemy fire to yourself?

Do you want to be a high damage dealer in close combat, deadly at range, specialize in slightly lower damage but hit multiple opponants in melee or at range?

Do you want to control the battlefield by moving allies or enemies around?

Do you want to be the medic the keeps others on their feet?

Once you decide on the type of character then we can help select a particular class.

Personally, I think you'd be ideally suited for an archer Ranger and I believe Gamwich was a ranger wasn't he?

Rangers are pretty easy to play, especially archers (point and shoot).

Let me know what you'd like and I'll create something, then I can give you access to my Character Builder account so you can play around with it.

Let me know,
Ken

View user profile

7 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 am

So, Gamwich is a fighter and Razalon, my other old character is a 6th level Ranger. Maybe, what i'll do, is set up the Ranger and then introduce a new
character in this new technological era. Yes, please introduce me to your builder account, so I won't be so completely lost the first time.

Thanks Ken

Ben

View user profile

8 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 am

Dwarmaj wrote:Contrary to public opinion, Fighters aren't the easiest class to play effectively...

I've seen several player try to play a Fighter that really should be playing a...

Wait a minute... I didn't say fighters didn't have a role to play or that like all other roles can be played badly, but I think 'jump in the fray & protect everyone' is easier than 'control the battlefield for maximum tactical advantage'.

View user profile

9 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 am

bradly wrote:
Dwarmaj wrote:Contrary to public opinion, Fighters aren't the easiest class to play effectively...

I've seen several player try to play a Fighter that really should be playing a...

Wait a minute... I didn't say fighters didn't have a role to play or that like all other roles can be played badly, but I think 'jump in the fray & protect everyone' is easier than 'control the battlefield for maximum tactical advantage'.

Most new players that start with fighter don't understand the "defender" aspect and fail to use their mark and other class benefits to keep the "squishies" safe. They just want to kill things...

View user profile

10 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

Like i said...this language is completely new to me. Maybe I should consider becoming an ordinary orc instead? Smile

It sounds like i will need to take a tutorial...

Ben

View user profile

11 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 am

It may be a good idea to have a small training session so that you can get use to your character and the rules.

View user profile

12 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 11:40 am

I am definitely up for that. Let me know when you're available. No pressure.

thanks a lot

Ben

View user profile

13 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 pm

I can be available from 8:10 PM on Friday or almost anytime on Saturday after say Noon, for a short "training" session at Newport Hills.

View user profile

14 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey Stu:

I will let you know about Friday or Saturday as the end of the week nears. Thanks for your help.

Ben

View user profile

15 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

I created Razalon (Elven Ranger Archer) and placed him in the People, Places, and Things section.

DnD basics...
On your turn you have three main actions you can take:

Each of your powers state what type of action is required to use it.

Standard Action - usually an attack
You can substitute a Standard action for 1 Move or 1 Minor action

Move Action:
Move actions involve movement from one place to another. You can normally take them only on your turn. Examples: walking, shifting. A shift is a 1 square move and enemy don't get a free swing at you. If you move without shifting enemies get an Attack of Opportunity (free attack).

Minor Action:
Minor actions are enabling actions, simple actions that usually lead to more exciting actions. You can normally take them only on your turn. Examples: pulling an item from a pouch or a sheath, opening a door or a treasure chest, picking up an item in your space or in an unoccupied square within reach.

You can also take a number of Free Actions. Normally this is talking or dropping an item. These may be limited by the DM.

View user profile

16 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow. We are way beyond the skinny legos and the green felt for sure. Thank you for doing that. I will look into that section and
see what you did. It looks like Stu may be available for a tutorial at the end of the week. I'll stay in touch as my learning
continues to grow.

Ben

View user profile

17 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Can you tell me exactly where Razalon exists? I'm not able to find him

Thanks

Ben

View user profile

18 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm

View user profile

19 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Ross

Admin
He'll probably benefit more from seeing a PDF of the character to see the cards and details of the powers.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

20 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Ross wrote:He'll probably benefit more from seeing a PDF of the character to see the cards and details of the powers.

Good idea. I'll send him a PDF once I get his email address.

View user profile

21 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

@Gamwich - actually, compared to the complex rules we used to use, where each weapon had a different number of swings, each weapon had a different chance to hit against each AC, where each ranged weapon had a different chance to hit depending on the range in inches and had an adjustment for each AC, the new rules are much, much faster. There's no more, figuring your base to hit, then making a to hit roll, then rolling for hit location, then figuring the damage based on the location hit, then rolling damage. Now, you select your power, you roll d20 and add the number on your power card, the DM tells you if you hit, then you roll the damage as indicated on your power card. It's all right there for you.

View user profile

22 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 pm

So, rather than a higher level Razalon, do we all think that a training session might be better if we started out much lower, lets say 6th Level? Maybe Gamwich can suggest the name of one of Razalon's sons and Ken can quick generate a 5th Level Archer Ranger? Either that or do a "Save As" and de-level Razalon to 6th. As we all know, battles with lower level characters are faster moving as there are less choices to make. Might be better to get the basic mechanics down of a round.

View user profile

23 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Ross

Admin
I'm up for a low level game.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

24 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 pm

No problem, I'll devel him to 6th. Did you want him to have normal stats or Buffyverse all 20's?

Normal equipment for 6th (7th, 6th, 5th, gold for 5th)?

Let me know what day/time. I'm not sure I can stay for the whole thing but may be able to stay an hour or two.

View user profile

25 Re: Friday on Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

You may want to just have. Maybe three "wagon in the road" encounters.

Two low level to get the mechanics down and one with his Buffyverse PC to see what it can do.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum