Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Revenant errata...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:47 pm

There was a recent update to Revenants and I'll need to see how this will affect my PC.

Here's the current description in the Compendium:

Revenant
Resilient souls returned from death to do the work of Fate

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5'5" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 100 - 200

Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma or +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-light vision

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate.
Dark Reaping: You have the dark reaping power.

Past life: Select a race other than revenant. You are also considered a member of that race for the purpose of meeting prerequisites, such as feat or paragon path prerequisites.

Undead: You are considered an undead creature for the purpose of effects that relate to the undead keyword. You are also considered a living creature.

Unnatural Vitality: When you drop to 0 hit points or fewer and are subjected to the dying condition, you can choose to be dazed, instead of falling unconscious. You make death saving throws as normal, and if you fail one, you fall unconscious instead of being dazed.

Revenant Utility Dark Reaping
You use one death as the seed to sow more destruction.

Encounter Necrotic
Free Action

Trigger: A creature within 5 squares of you is reduced to 0 hit points

Effect: One creature of your choice that you hit with an attack before the end of your next turn takes extra necrotic damage equal to 1d8 + your Constitution modifier.

PHYSICAL QUALITIES
Revenants are souls of the dead returned to a semblance of life by the Raven Queen or some other agency of the afterlife. Revenants do not appear as undead horrors or even anything like their former selves. When the Raven Queen reincarnates souls, they exist as her special creations, and they have the bodies of her choosing and creation. In this way, such souls are always marked as representatives of the Raven Queen’s power. They emerge from the shadow of death fully formed and fully grown, set to handle whatever tasks they have been returned to deal with.

A revenant has a body that is slender for his or her height, but this form possesses an uncanny toughness that contradicts the apparent build. Revenants have the same range of complexions as humans, but a revenant’s skin is ashen and the features are sunken. Eyes are most commonly solid black with a single point of red light burning within them, but other eerie eye colors—including yellow, white, silver, and gold—are not uncommon. In some cases, the eyes glow with a ghostly light. Revenants’ hair typically ranges from black through shades of gray to white. Revenants can grow facial hair, and males often have beards or mustaches that accentuate their ashen countenances.

A revenant’s face and skin clearly set a member of this race apart from other humanoids. A revenant’s visage has a masklike quality that can be disturbing to mortal beings. Rough, dark scales appear on the flesh near the ends of a revenant’s limbs, marking the revenant as one of those the Raven Queen has allowed back into the world of the living. A revenant’s extremities end in strong, black fingernails and toenails that resemble claws.

PLAYING A REVENANT
Death usually represents the gateway to the afterlife or the end of a natural existence. Sometimes, however, death can be just the beginning. For some select individuals, the Raven Queen or another agency of death bars passage to the next stage of existence, turning a soul back toward the natural world. In such instances, fate has other plans.

A revenant arises not as an aimless corpse but as the embodiment of a lost soul given new purpose. Such a creature walks in two worlds. While the revenant moves among the living, it also exists in the shadows, haunted by the vague memories of a life it no longer possesses.

Revenants do not build settlements or share a common culture as is customary of the other races. The only attributes that connect these living undead are a set of common physical characteristics and a similar origin and destiny. In all cases, a revenant is purposefully returned to the natural world after succumbing to a cessation of life. Dead, but unable to find its way to whatever waits beyond death’s dark gates, the once-living soul is reconstituted as a revenant.

The gods of death and fate often require agents in the natural world, and they don’t always have enough exarchs or aspects to deal with all the work they seek to accomplish. For this reason, revenants are called into existence. However, the rules governing the gods and how they can intrude upon the natural world are often mysterious and seemingly contradictory to mere mortals. For this reason, it seems that revenants enter the world without clear directions or even full memories of the life they once lived.

Revenants often appear in adult form, fully grown and instinctively capable of dealing with the world around them. Most awaken in a place of the dead, such as a graveyard or a crypt, with only vague memories of whatever went before and usually with a driving compulsion to accomplish some partially remembered task or vaguely defined quest.

Most revenants remember only fragments of the life they lived before, as well as snatches of a peaceful darkness that immediately preceded their return to the world. Some need time to come to grips with the fragmented memories and driving compulsions. Others take to their new existence easily and without too much analysis and soul-searching. Many recall a woman’s voice, soft and melodious, not unlike the gentle flutter of black-feathered wings, that follows them out of the shadows and back to the wakefulness of the natural world. The words are gentle but insistent, and often the source of any compulsion that a revenant experiences upon returning to life. Although each revenant returns to the world in a different way, most recall words that drifted out of the darkness with them. “Arise, my champion,” the voice demands of them. “There is work to do.”

Revenant Characteristics: Agile, cold, determined, fearsome, hard-bitten, noble, pragmatic, tragic

Male Names: Bane, Carver, Dredge, Erak, Riven, Rook, Scourge, Sever, Snipe, Wrath.

Female Names: Blessed, Charm, Fable, Ire, Lash, Nihil, Raven, Sunder, Vengeance.

View user profile

2 Re: Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 pm

I think the changes that affect my PC are:

If I drop to 0hp or below I'm still conscious but dazed until I miss a death save. (before it was you were conscious and could only take one action until you attempted your first death save). This part got better. Smile

Half-Elf Soul went away and was replaced with Past Life Soul. I believe this means I can't use Twin Strike and Dark Reaping in the same encounter.

Brad, did you want to continue to use the old rules until the end of the current encounter. Or do you want me to update my PC now?

View user profile

3 Re: Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:I Brad, did you want to continue to use the old rules until the end of the current encounter.

End of the encounter is fine with me.

View user profile

4 Re: Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Agree with the interpretation of what happens now when you reach 0 hits. Agree with using the old rules until the end of the current encounter. Not sure how Past Life Soul replacing Half-Elf Soul affects your powers. Can't you choose Half Elf as your Past Life Soul and the affect on your powers would be the same as it was before? Clairify...

View user profile

5 Re: Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Teramotos wrote:...Not sure how Past Life Soul replacing Half-Elf Soul affects your powers. Can't you choose Half Elf as your Past Life Soul and the affect on your powers would be the same as it was before? Clairify...

The feat Half-Elf Soul did not affect the Revenant Dark Reaping racial power.

The feat Past Live Soul specifically states that you gain the racial power of your past life, but can use it or Dark Reaping in an encounter not both.

Half-Elves get get an At-Will from any class as an encounter power, Angelus selected Twin Strike.

I believe that using Past Life Soul means that Angelus can use Twin Strike or Dark Reaping in an encounter. Correct?

Note: I'm not sure how this will affect Versatile Master in Paragon. I was planning on taking it and using Twin Strike as an At-Will. Would that mean that if I used Dark Reaping I couldn't use Twin Strike for the rest of the encounter, even though TS would be an At-will now?

Past Soul
Prerequisite: Revenant
Benefit: You gain the racial power of the race you chose with your Past Life racial feature (if that race has more than one racial power, choose one of the powers, and you gain only that one). During each encounter, you can use either that power or dark reaping, not both.

View user profile

6 Re: Revenant errata... on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Ah, I see, the two powers are mutually exclusive during a given encounter. So, if you had used Twin Strike, even once during an encounter, doesn't that mean you could not use Dark Reaping at all? I don't think it means, use Twin Strike and then after you use Dark Reaping don't use Twin Strike any more.

View user profile

7 Re: Revenant errata... on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 am

Dwarmaj wrote:Past Soul
Prerequisite: Revenant
Benefit: You gain the racial power of the race you chose with your Past Life racial feature (if that race has more than one racial power, choose one of the powers, and you gain only that one). During each encounter, you can use either that power or dark reaping, not both.

Hmm, I went to update my PC and it looks like selecting Twin Strike isn't an option any more...

It looks like Past Soul does not grant Half-Elf Dilettante racial feature like the Half-Elf Soul feat did.

Past Soul grants one racial power and Half-Elves don't have any racial powers. Evil or Very Mad

It looks like I'm going to have to make a new PC...

I'll try to keep them a Revenant Monk, but I'm not sure what I'll go with yet.

View user profile

8 Re: Revenant errata... on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Hmm, It looks like WotC added back in Half-Elf Soul...
(They added it back to the Compendium but not back to the Character Builder yet) Rolling Eyes

Now I'll have to see which version of Angelus I want to stick with.

Half-Elf SoulHeroic Tier
Prerequisite: Half-elf, revenant
Benefit: You gain the Dilettante half-elf racial feature (Player’s Handbook, page 42). In a given encounter, you can use the power you chose for Dilettante or your dark reaping racial power.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]