Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

Dwarmaj, Ross

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What speed internet are signed up for?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 What speed internet are signed up for? on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:27 pm

With the move to my new house, a change of internet providers is in order.

I will be leaving Clear as the service is spotty.
Qwest DSL has a max of 1.5.
Comcast
Verizon and AT&T aren't available in my area...

Here's the new address. And yes it will soon be available to host(pretty much as soon as the d*** internet fixed.)

16424 21st AVE SW
Burien, WA 98166

View user profile

2 Re: What speed internet are signed up for? on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

I have Qwest DSL.

Cable is usually faster, but you share your bandwidth with your neighbors. The more of them on-line, the slower your speed will be.

DSL speed is guaranteed since its a direct connection from your house to their office.

View user profile

3 Re: What speed internet are signed up for? on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Qwest has a max of 1.5 meg DL? That seems very low. What is the price for that speed?

Comcast while it is slower with neighbors they usually have more than plenty of speed even when the neighbors are using it. I don't believe I ever got below 4 meg DL when I was using Comcast. That said I don't really like Comcast and their practice of new people promotions only.

I currently have Frontier (previously Verizon) FiOS and that works better for me for the same price. The DL/Upload is more stable where I am at and that made a huge difference in my VOIP phone quality.

View user profile

4 Re: What speed internet are signed up for? on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:21 pm

At Newcastle, I had Qwest DSL and loved it. Always worked, very little lag. Switched to ComCast in October 2009 and the advertised speed was twice as fast but in reality, I was the last house on the Comcast line, furthest from the vault and sharing with eight other houses (all Comcast subscribers). This resulted in the internet not working 20% of the time or more and when it did work, it was pretty slow. Late at night, it sped up to faster than DSL, but only after like 9 PM.

At this house, paying for 3 DL but getting twice as fast as this time, the ComCast vault is on my property and I'm sharing with only five houses of which only two are Comcast subscribers. I'm the second of two houses. The internet is blazing fast now.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum