Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

recoil shield

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:
Sorry, I'm going to rule that you need to be adjacent to the opponent.
recoil shield
The flavor text says:
"This unassiming shield takes on surprising heft when you want to knock a foe flat."

The power says:
Use this power when a melee attack hits you. The attacker is knocked prone.

The flavor text seems to indicate that you're using the shield to knock them prone.

Like Stu, I can see this both ways. But, that means I'd have gone the other way as a default & allowed it. Thoughts?

As I read the flavor of the text, it is the force of the attacker's own blow upon the sheild that is knocking himself down, so the attacker needs to be able to reach the shield weilder only. I don't really read that as allowing the shield bearer a reposte action. Not a terribly strong opinion, but that's how I read it.

View user profile

2 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:41 pm

I actually agree with Brad. In the case of a tie (e.g. very close ruling) I'd tend to side with the player. Recoil seems to imply the force of the attacker's blow is what is knocking the attacker prone, not a counter strike by the shield bearer.

View user profile

3 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm

The power itself is ambiguous. It doesn't say whether the creature is knocking itself prone from the force of their own attack or whether the wielder of the shield is knocking the target prone.

If a power granted a PC a melee attack, then the target would only get the melee attack if the target where within reach.

If a power granted a ranged basic attack, then the target of the attack needs to be within the range of the power used by the ranged attack.

How balanced would the power be when ruled one way or the other?

Disregarding reach makes the item a little more powerful than if reach of the target were used.

Example:
Say a large/huge dragon with 15' reach is flying by and making a flyby attack. If the attack hits the wielder of the shield could make the dragon fall prone with no attack on the dragon.

On the other side...

Not allowing it to affect a target with reach means that the power will be useless if the opponent says out of your reach.

I can see it either way... I'm currently 55(not affecting creatures with reach) / 45 (affect creatures with reach).

View user profile

4 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:04 pm

It is an immediate reaction so, the dragon has to make an attack and hit, then the dragon falls prone. The power doesn't cancel the hit, it only makes the attacker fall prone; the defender still takes the hit and the damage.

Oh, I see what you're saying about the dragon, I didn't make a "to hit" roll to knock the dragon prone. Hmmm...it's like the dragon is making the "to hit" roll for me; using the monster's own hit against him somewhat.

View user profile

5 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Ross

Admin
It doesn't say anywhere that the attacker has to be adjacent to you. Just has to be a melee attack. No conflict at all. Your just assuming they have to be next to each other. No assuming. RAW.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

6 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 pm

"Recoil" seems to imply that the energy of the attacking blow is being reflected back, not that a separate, secondary counter strike is being made. In the flavor text, "Heft" seems to imply that the shield is weighty and perhaps used in a bull rush fashion, but then they should have named the shield, "Shield of Counter Bashing".

View user profile

7 Re: recoil shield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Ross

Admin
It's named correctly. It's recoiling the attack that hit it back at the attacker.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum