Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
» Axis and Allies - Optional Unit Rules
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:15 am by Teramotos

» 4.0 Meeting Fri Dec 15th - GAME On!
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 pm by Teramotos

» Rainbow Warriors Planet Ember - Magic Item Count - Adventure Notes
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm by Teramotos

» Prophecy of the Rainbow Warriors - Adventure Logs
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! 4.0 Meeting Friday Dec 1st Newport Hills
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am by bradly

» Next 4.0 Meeting Late Nov/ all Dec
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 am by Teramotos

» Stargate...
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am by Dwarmaj

» Friday, Nov 17th
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am by Teramotos

» Epic item tade in: would a figurine be game breaking?
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm by Ross

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Pit

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 pm

The party is currently in a 3 square by 4 square pit (with about 1 foot of raw sewage). The pit is 10 feet deep. There doesn't seem to be a way out from the bottom of the pit. Candelos searches though the sewage and doesn't see any treasure.

Climbing out of the pit requires an Athletics check ~DC20.

Once out of the pit, you'll be on a very steep incline. Moving up the incline requires an Athletics check (those trained in Athletics believe it's a DC25 check). Failing the check on the incline means you fall into the pit. Being adjacent to a wall gives you a +2 on the check.

Is the party going to take an extended rest in the pit (1' of sewage) or will the party fine a better place? It looks like a very unhealthy place to rest...

Current PC status is:
Quinn 55/67hp 3/11 surges
Candelos 65/65hp 7/14 surges
Miri 47/50hp 3/9 surges
Thia 58/60hp 0/7 surges
Sonya 33/56hp 3/9 surges
Kaddim 62/71hp 7/10 surges

Note: I've updated Miri's hp for the surge after the battle.

Last edited by Dwarmaj on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:Is the party going to take an extended rest in the pit (1' of sewage) or will the party fine a better place?

...Miri 35/50hp 4/9 surges
Absolutely not going to spend the night in sewage! As a matter of fact, Miri's probably going to take a quick dip in the Sauguin room to clean up before she rests!
...and Miri will use a healing surge to get back to almost max

View user profile

3 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Who is going to climb out of the pit?

View user profile

4 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm

How far is it to the top including the diagonal.
Is it greater then 35'?
If not, Candelos will use the orb encounter power to teleport 7 spaces.
If it helps I'll stand on the sholders of Quinn & Kaddim before teleporting.

View user profile

5 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Mick wrote:How far is it to the top including the diagonal.
Is it greater then 35'?
If not, Candelos will use the orb encounter power to teleport 7 spaces.
If it helps I'll stand on the sholders of Quinn & Kaddim before teleporting.

Standing on Quinn's shoulders (with sewage covered boots...), it looks to be 30 to the north wall. You also notice that the floor is very smooth and has a very steep incline...

You'll be able to teleport up, but any movement and you'll need to start making Athletic checks or slide/fall.

View user profile

6 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm

If I'm on Quinns shoulders, I need to go only 5' up and if I have to go 30' more, shouldn't I be out with 7 space of teleporting?

If not, I'll teleport move action use Fey Step to teleport 5 as far as I can up the incline .teleport 7 space more with the orb as a standard action as far as necessary

View user profile

7 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Mick wrote:If I'm on Quinns shoulders, I need to go only 5' up and if I have to go 30' more, shouldn't I be out with 7 space of teleporting?

If not, I'll teleport move action use Fey Step to teleport 5 as far as I can up the incline .teleport 7 space more with the orb as a standard action as far as necessary

Yes, your in range.

It is still a very steep slope on a very smooth surface. You could easily teleport to the wall, then tumble back down if you miss your Athletics check. There is nothing on the walls, cieling, or floors to hold onto.

View user profile

8 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Ross

Admin
First search the pit for any valuables. Also while doing that search for any hidden passages. I recommend everyone look. Also look for any levers, buttons, etc.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

9 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Ross wrote:First search the pit for any valuables. Also while doing that search for any hidden passages. I recommend everyone look. Also look for any levers, buttons, etc.

The party spends several minutes searching and don't fine any valuables, levers, or buttons. There doesn't seem to be a way out through the pit.

Note:
The area outlined in green on the map posted above is the area that pivoted. The floor of the incline was the south wall (before the trap triggered) and the current north wall was the floor the party was standing on.

View user profile

10 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Hmm so that means the wall that we are next to pivots, we just need to know how to set it off. Thia will check for anyway to trigger the trap from down here.

View user profile

11 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Krystoff wrote:Hmm so that means the wall that we are next to pivots, we just need to know how to set it off. Thia will check for anyway to trigger the trap from down here.

You don't find any way to set it off from inside the pit. Thia would know that the trap was triggered by pressure plates on the floor...

View user profile

12 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Anyway to throw pieces of the CL up onto the pressure plates?

View user profile

13 Re: The Pit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Krystoff wrote:Anyway to throw pieces of the CL up onto the pressure plates?

Not from 30' away...

View user profile

14 This Is the Pits on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 pm

...Sonya, can anyone teleport up and trigger the trap so we can jam the pivot and get out?

View user profile

15 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:51 am

Teramotos wrote:...Sonya, can anyone teleport up and trigger the trap so we can jam the pivot and get out?
Yes, Candelos can... which I thought he did. Is there a problem with him doing the double teleport he planned to get to somewhere he can tie a rope & let the rest of us out?

View user profile

16 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 am

bradly wrote:
Teramotos wrote:...Sonya, can anyone teleport up and trigger the trap so we can jam the pivot and get out?
Yes, Candelos can... which I thought he did. Is there a problem with him doing the double teleport he planned to get to somewhere he can tie a rope & let the rest of us out?

The "chute" is empty, there is nowhere to tie a rope to.

Yes, Candelos can teleport to the north wall, but he'll need to make an Athletics check. If he fails, he'll slide back down and fall back into the pit. If he wants to make the attempt I'll roll the skill check (DC25 and Candelos isn't trained in Athletics...).

The only ones trained in athletics are Kaddim, Quinn, Thia.

The only one with thievery trained is Thia.

View user profile

17 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 am

Dwarmaj wrote:
bradly wrote:

The "chute" is empty, there is nowhere to tie a rope to.

Yes, Candelos can teleport to the north wall, but he'll need to make an Athletics check. If he fails, he'll slide back down and fall back into the pit. If he wants to make the attempt I'll roll the skill check (DC25 and Candelos isn't trained in Athletics...).

The only ones trained in athletics are Kaddim, Quinn, Thia.

The only one with thievery trained is Thia.

Thia and Miri note that the trap only pivoted 1/4 turn. Triggering the trap once would not lead back to the hallway...

View user profile

18 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 am

I guess we'll have to trigger it more than once then...

View user profile

19 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:00 am

Ross

Admin
Kaddim will try it. I'll attempt to teleport next to a wall in an attempt to brace myself a little better when climbing. If we could get all of us trained in athletics we could increase our chances.

Once I teleport to the edge do I feel I could pull a few others up with a rope?

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

20 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 am

Ross wrote:Kaddim will try it. I'll attempt to teleport next to a wall in an attempt to brace myself a little better when climbing. If we could get all of us trained in athletics we could increase our chances.

Once I teleport to the edge do I feel I could pull a few others up with a rope?

Kaddim uses Armathor's Step to teleport 5 squares, which doesn't reach the north wall. Kaddim moves north and needs to make an Athletics check 19+9-1(armor)+2(adjacent to wall)=29

Kaddim climbs to the north wall successfully.

Pulling someone up who is untrained will be harder than pulling someone that is trained.
The more people assisint you (holding the rope), the easier it will be to get the untrained people up.

Only 4 PC can be against the west wall. Other will have to be in adjacent squares or try and make their way to the east wall.

View user profile

21 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 am

I will go up next since I have it trained so I can help pull others up.

View user profile

22 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 am

Krystoff wrote:I will go up next since I have it trained so I can help pull others up.
Doesn't seem to make much sense pulling others up to where Kaddim is yet... I know I'll just fall back down since I have no chance of making the athletics check.

We need to get Kaddim all the way up first so he can trigger the trap (3 times), tie a rope around the statue, and then we can all climb up. Kaddim, do you have any teleports left? Candelos, can you talk to the Orb & see if she'll teleport Kaddim out (since it would be helping you a lot...)

That's my best guess on how to get out of this room. Hey, it's a 5th level item if someone wants me to craft them boots of spider climb when we rest... good for the next pit, and this is the second pit we found ourselves in. Good for this pit if we end up taking an extended rest in this muck...

View user profile

23 Kaddim on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:00 pm

...in the worse case, Kaddim can rest there for 5 minutes until he can teleport again.

View user profile

24 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Yeah I will wait until he gets to a spot that we can pull people up to.

View user profile

25 Re: The Pit on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Teramotos wrote:...in the worse case, Kaddim can rest there for 5 minutes until he can teleport again.
Good. Then we won't be in this muck for long.
Miri will cast 'Presigidation' twice while waiting. Once to clean her clothes, once to create a better smell in the pit; lavender.

Create a harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of

wind, faint music, or a strong odor.

• Color, clean, or soil items in 1 cubic foot for up to 1 hour.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum