Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Northwest Gamers

Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.

Northwest Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics

» Savage Rifts Advancement/Rank
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyYesterday at 10:23 am by Krystoff

» Adventure Logs - Shaelrick Adventures - PF2e
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 12:57 am by Teramotos

» Game On! Friday 8 March - Pathfinder 2e Newport Hills 6 PM
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 6:29 am by Teramotos

» Adventure Logs - Wisdom Warriors of Newport - Beginner Series 4e
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 11:22 am by Teramotos

» Westron Information
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:47 pm by Teramotos

» PF2e AoO from movement
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 5:01 pm by Ross

» PF2e Misc Rules
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 pm by Ross

» Adventure Logs - Special Agents in a Steam Punk World
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 11:03 pm by Teramotos

» 3D Printed Miniatures Wish List
Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 2:56 pm by Ross

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 801 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm

5 posters

Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice)

Teramotos
    Teramotos

Number of posts : 4841
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) Empty Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice)

Post by Teramotos Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Very hair raising battles... I'm thinking the absence of the group's usual healer (Souldun) caused both fights to be much more deadly to the party than they usually would have been. Both groups of monsters were not that much tougher than groups the party has met several time before in this series. Almost killed off the entire party twice...

Thoughts?

Sonya Morecut (Human Warlord) - SG1
    Whey Baker (Human Fighter) - SG1
    Archemedies - (Githyanki Artificer) - Slave Ship
    Alysa Redfield (Human Archer Warlord) - Dark Nights Rising
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Number of posts : 5285
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) Empty Re: Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice)

Post by Dwarmaj Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am

I'm not sure a healer would have helped much (maybe as an extra body to absorb the damage).

I haven't been on many of the other missions, but it seemed that the monsters had high defenses, high chances to hit, and did lots of damage when they did hit.

Example:
    Nero has 84hp AC26 Fort21, Ref18, Will22

During the first battle Nero used 3 surges and needed to use 3 more surges to get back to max after the battle. He took about 110hp of damage in the first battle.

It seems unusual that a melee character with decent defenses would take that much damage. It didn't seem that the rolls against him were lucky ones, just that he got hit often for a lot of damage. And for the most part needed to roll a 16 or better to hit the enemies.

Things would have been much different if he didn't get lucky with his daily and daze the enemy leader and the leader missed his save multiple times.
    Teramotos
    Teramotos

Number of posts : 4841
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice) Empty Re: Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice)

Post by Teramotos Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 am

The "Leader" had 25 more hits than the "regular" soldiers and had two encounter powers where as the regular soldiers had none. He wasn't effectively that much tougher than one of the regulars in fact the regulars had a higher potential damage at 24 per round than the leader at 13 per round. The leader did have an ability where he could give automatic damage (only 3 points) each round without having to make a "to hit" roll.

Yes, I do agree with having another body (any body) to help absorb 20% of the attacks.

Sonya Morecut (Human Warlord) - SG1
    Whey Baker (Human Fighter) - SG1
    Archemedies - (Githyanki Artificer) - Slave Ship
    Alysa Redfield (Human Archer Warlord) - Dark Nights Rising
    Arthur
    Arthur

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2015-03-02

Post by Arthur Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Also Souldun gives a lot of attacks to bannor who is our primary single point damage dealer.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am

Raistlin wrote:Also Souldun gives a lot of attacks to bannor who is our primary single point damage dealer.

That's a different issue... A Fighter (defender) shouldn't be the primary damage dealer in the party. That should be the Striker's role.

A Striker at level 9 should be doing 10-15 more points of damage per round than a defender.

Bannor's dps is roughly 12.38 (+17 to hit AC (kinda high for level 9) 1d10+10 damage. His actual dps is quite a bit lower since he does seem to roll a lot of '1's...

I quickly put together a level 9 striker (sorcerer) that has dps of 22.18 (+14 to hit Ref 1d12+1d10+18 damage)
    Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Number of posts : 3864

Character sheet
    Campaign: 4e-Against the Giants
    Character Name: Kazoo Noisemaker
    Player Name: Ross

Post by Ross Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 am

I wasn't there, but I usually do more damage, but I'm not usually close enough to the target for the Alley-oop attack from Souldun.
    Not sure what DPS it calculates out to but my Thri-Kreen Barbarian does:
    Gythka +16 to hit vs AC
    Gythka Weapon Damage 1d8+14
    +1d8 + 2 (Primal/Fury Rage, which kicks in after the first round of combat)
    +1d8 + 3 (When Charging so can't use it with Souldun's bonus attack)

Silk - Human/Hexblade [4e-Dark Nights Rising Campaign]
    Kazoo - Halfling(Kender)/Hybrid(Rogue/Druid) [4e-Against the Giants]
    Morbius Von Kas - Vryloka/Blackguard [4e-Rainbow Warriors Campaign]
    Man'Tis Man'Todea - Thri-Kreen/Berserker [4e-Slave Lords Campaign]
    Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Shandral Aurlong - Human/Sorcerer [5e-Horde of the Dragon Queen Campaign]
    Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
    Battlefield Soldier: Saturnicus
    Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
    Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
    XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
    Dwarmaj
    Dwarmaj

Post by Dwarmaj Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

For the barbarian, the calculator says your damage per round is...
    Normal: 13.13
    After first: 17.85
    Charging: 18.55
    jibuki
    jibuki

Number of posts : 509
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by jibuki Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Walster can absorb a ton of damage with 15 surges, has multiple ways to use temporary hits, and +15/1d10 + 16 for most attack and the target can't heal for until my next rd for every hit.
    Ross
    Ross
    Admin

Number of posts : 3864

Character sheet
    Campaign: 4e-Against the Giants
    Character Name: Kazoo Noisemaker
    Player Name: Ross

Post by Ross Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for calculating that Ken.  
    I also get 19 Temp hits at the start of each battle (when I Rage), and two Encounter reactions that typically allow me to avoid damage. After those 19 temp are gone I can gain 8 Temp Hits using an At Will each round.  Need all of that though as my AC is only 21.

Silk - Human/Hexblade [4e-Dark Nights Rising Campaign]
    Kazoo - Halfling(Kender)/Hybrid(Rogue/Druid) [4e-Against the Giants]
    Morbius Von Kas - Vryloka/Blackguard [4e-Rainbow Warriors Campaign]
    Man'Tis Man'Todea - Thri-Kreen/Berserker [4e-Slave Lords Campaign]
    Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
    Shandral Aurlong - Human/Sorcerer [5e-Horde of the Dragon Queen Campaign]
    Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
    Battlefield Soldier: Saturnicus
    Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
    Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
    XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm