Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Against the Slave Lords - 11 August - Near TPK (Twice)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Very hair raising battles... I'm thinking the absence of the group's usual healer (Souldun) caused both fights to be much more deadly to the party than they usually would have been. Both groups of monsters were not that much tougher than groups the party has met several time before in this series. Almost killed off the entire party twice...

Thoughts?

View user profile
I'm not sure a healer would have helped much (maybe as an extra body to absorb the damage).

I haven't been on many of the other missions, but it seemed that the monsters had high defenses, high chances to hit, and did lots of damage when they did hit.

Example:
Nero has 84hp AC26 Fort21, Ref18, Will22

During the first battle Nero used 3 surges and needed to use 3 more surges to get back to max after the battle. He took about 110hp of damage in the first battle.

It seems unusual that a melee character with decent defenses would take that much damage. It didn't seem that the rolls against him were lucky ones, just that he got hit often for a lot of damage. And for the most part needed to roll a 16 or better to hit the enemies.

Things would have been much different if he didn't get lucky with his daily and daze the enemy leader and the leader missed his save multiple times.

View user profile
The "Leader" had 25 more hits than the "regular" soldiers and had two encounter powers where as the regular soldiers had none. He wasn't effectively that much tougher than one of the regulars in fact the regulars had a higher potential damage at 24 per round than the leader at 13 per round. The leader did have an ability where he could give automatic damage (only 3 points) each round without having to make a "to hit" roll.

Yes, I do agree with having another body (any body) to help absorb 20% of the attacks.

View user profile
Also Souldun gives a lot of attacks to bannor who is our primary single point damage dealer.

View user profile
Raistlin wrote:Also Souldun gives a lot of attacks to bannor who is our primary single point damage dealer.

That's a different issue... A Fighter (defender) shouldn't be the primary damage dealer in the party. That should be the Striker's role.

A Striker at level 9 should be doing 10-15 more points of damage per round than a defender.

Bannor's dps is roughly 12.38 (+17 to hit AC (kinda high for level 9) 1d10+10 damage. His actual dps is quite a bit lower since he does seem to roll a lot of '1's...

I quickly put together a level 9 striker (sorcerer) that has dps of 22.18 (+14 to hit Ref 1d12+1d10+18 damage)

View user profile

Ross

Admin
I wasn't there, but I usually do more damage, but I'm not usually close enough to the target for the Alley-oop attack from Souldun.
Not sure what DPS it calculates out to but my Thri-Kreen Barbarian does:
Gythka +16 to hit vs AC
Gythka Weapon Damage 1d8+14
+1d8 + 2 (Primal/Fury Rage, which kicks in after the first round of combat)
+1d8 + 3 (When Charging so can't use it with Souldun's bonus attack)

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
For the barbarian, the calculator says your damage per round is...
Normal: 13.13
After first: 17.85
Charging: 18.55

View user profile
Walster can absorb a ton of damage with 15 surges, has multiple ways to use temporary hits, and +15/1d10 + 16 for most attack and the target can't heal for until my next rd for every hit.

View user profile

Ross

Admin
Thanks for calculating that Ken.  
I also get 19 Temp hits at the start of each battle (when I Rage), and two Encounter reactions that typically allow me to avoid damage. After those 19 temp are gone I can gain 8 Temp Hits using an At Will each round.  Need all of that though as my AC is only 21.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum