Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Encounter distance

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Encounter distance on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 am

How much is in the PCs control?

I know some encounters are "built" to surprise the party, but in general it doesn't seem to be based on perception or stealth of either PC or monsters.

Does the compendium have rules for this or are they only in the DMG? (can't seem to find anything...)

View user profile

2 Re: Encounter distance on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:37 pm

The distance an encounter begins is usually when the two groups both become aware of each other and that there is hostile intent. This could be as far as LOS or it could be a shorter range and the groups hear each other (like around a corner).

I couldn't find anything either. In prior versions of D&D there were charts showing starting encounter distances.

View user profile

3 Re: Encounter distance on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Ross

Admin
What I don't like is if you are in view of someone you can never surprise them, even if there is no reason for them to consider you a threat. Like if we are all around a campfire having dinner, and I decide to suddenly attack you, that should be a surprise attack, but RAW states that's not possible.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

4 Re: Encounter distance on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Hmmm... would it make sense if someone who is in plain view of someone else could "surprise" them by beating the opponent's initiative by more than 15 say? Is there another way we could facilitate this?

View user profile

5 Re: Encounter distance on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:in general it doesn't seem to be based on perception or stealth of either PC or monsters.

Depends a lot on who's GM. I try to give PCs some opportunities to surprise and be surprised, but doesn't come up often. Does it seem like it's not working well? What fix do you have in mind?

View user profile

6 Re: Encounter distance on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 am

bradly wrote:
Depends a lot on who's GM. I try to give PCs some opportunities to surprise and be surprised, but doesn't come up often. Does it seem like it's not working well? What fix do you have in mind?

Nothing in mind for changes...

Was just trying to find the rules for this in the compendium and couldn't find anything.

If the party has a scout that maxes out Perception, I would think that that would affect encounter distance and whether or not the party is surprised.

Some encounters are "built" to surprise the party, but for others, I was looking for a way to calculate it distance so I know how much Perception to shoot for.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum