Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kim's TKD Trial Series - Post Your Character Roles Here

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

All,

I'm thinking I'll base the trial series on one of my past series.  Think militaristic, mostly human and humanoid opponents.  If you have prior D&D experience, please reply to this post with the two character types (Race/ Class) that you find fun to play.  

If you're an existing Westron Citizen, and you'd love to play a low level game and help brand new players, please post here that you're willing to help and if you'd rather play a de-leveled version of your WAR character, or a new character.  If a new character, you'll likely have to play a role (Controller, Striker, Leader, Defender) that the new party is lacking.

View user profile
It's Dan here. I'd like to play a Human Fighter. Which edition are we playing? 3.5, 4 or 5th edition? I'd like to play 5th, but I'm perfectly fine with either one. I have all the books.

Do you want me to start making my character? If so, are there any guidelines you want us to follow? Are we doing point buy or rolling? Or do you want us to make the characters together?

When you have time it would be nice to hear a little about the world/setting/ background to the story.

View user profile
When selecting a characters to play, it'll help the party out a lot if the party members meet first.

Either online or in person and determine what roles each PC will cover. Once roles (controller, striker, leader, or defender) are determined, then classes and races can be selected.

When determining roles, it would be a good idea to cover all skills as well (have a dedicated PC to cover diplomacy/intimidation, perception, thievery...)

Having too many defenders can hurt the party since their marking ability can't be used effectively. Too many strikers is also not a good idea since sometime you need a meat shield.

Here's a good article on party optimization:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/4e-character-optimization/threads/1970661

Parties don't have to be optimized, but it's a good idea to get things sorted out early.

For a 5 PC team I'd prefer
1 Leader
2 Strikers (one melee, one ranged)
1 Defenders
1 Controller (the controller could be skipped and a second defender could be taken)

View user profile
Thank you for the feed back. So I take it we are playing 4th edition?

Great, so we just need to hear from everyone else what they want to play. I'm flexible as far as roles are concerned, but here are what I would prefer to play:

1) Human fighter, or
2) Human paladin, or
3) Dwarven cleric

Let's see what everyone else would like to play.....

View user profile
Happy to play any position. Dwarf fighter or half elf ranger favorites but I can fake whatever is best for the group.

View user profile
Who else is playing? Can we get them to join the conversation? This is great place to do stuff that doesn't require real life interaction. Like deciding race / class .

View user profile
Yes, we're using 4.0 Yes, if you'd like, we're using the 32 point buy. Yes, if you'd like, you can start creating your PC's now. No, your party doesn't have to be "Optimized" unless you want it to be. Jim G. and Marc R. both from TKD have been invited to join this trial session. They've both been invited to join this message board and are welcome to join in discussion.

Tentatively, I'm planning on using the background for the WAR! Series, see other threads on this forum.

I'll look up the background link and post here for your reference. Smile!

View user profile
Is that 32 points with all stats starting at 10 or with all stats starting at 8?

For example, which of these looks right:

16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10   or  16, 16, 14, 10, 10, 10   (before adding racial modifier)

I assume we are starting at level 1?

Can I make a Hybrid class? Like a fighter/runepriest? I am using the wizards-of-the-coast character builder, so it's quiet easy to do, if you allow it.

View user profile
Actually we use a 22 point buy...
I guess it is 32 if all abilities start at 8...

We normally use the WotC character builder which does all the math for us.

You start with one ability at 8 and the rest at 10, then buy points from there.
8-12 is 1 point
13-15 is 2 points
16 is 3 points
17 is 4 points

Then you get racial modifiers after that.

Human get +2 to one ability
All other races get +2 to two abilities (usually +2 to a specific score, then a choice for the other between two abilities)

Example:
Dwarves get +2 Con and +2 to (Str or Wis)

View user profile
Perfect. That's the builder I'm using, too.
So, now I just need to know if we're starting at level 1 (I assume so), and if making a Hybrid class will be allowed? Thanks for the reply.

View user profile
Fourth level and yes hybrid allowed

View user profile
How much money may we spend on equipment? And are we permitted to buy enchanted equipment (if we can afford it)?

View user profile
The D&D standard, one 3rd Level Item, one 4th Level Item, one 5th Level Item and enough GP to purchase another 3rd Level Item to be used to buy items and or normal equipment.

View user profile
All, posted the original Intro for WAR under In Game Banter... under People Places and Things you can see the Cast of Characters in the Sticky subjects. Under "Once Upon a Time" you can keep scrolling back and read many of the recaps of the WAR! series to see how the war went.

View user profile
Ok, so I'm as good as done with my character. So, once I know whether we are playing as Royalists or Rebels, I will make the final tweaks. I've made a Fighter (Weapon's Master), with feats spent on multi-classing into Rune Priest. High Str, High Con. I will share the details once I know if we're playing as Royalists or Rebels, since that will impact some choices (such as race).

View user profile
Stuart well I'm on your posting I think, I registered my user I D is twinkle toes which I will use as my character name. I am planning to run a big dumb barbarian but I will have to figure out how to build him with your 4th addition rules of D&D, 32 years of playing 2nd addition is going to be a bit of a challenge but I will get it

View user profile
Hello all,

I have some limited experience with 4.0 (I played in a campaign 5 years ago now), so I'm a bit rusty, but I have been playing RPGs for many years. I like to play Fighters (Fighter/Barbarian), Rogues or Rangers. Typically Human or Dwarf for the Fighter types or Half-elf or Human for the Rangers & Rogues. I am also open to playing a Warlord.

View user profile
Ok, so so far we’ve got...

DenmarkDan wanting to play a Fighter (Weapon Master), dual-classed with Rune Priest

twinkle toes wanting to play a Barbarian

ajury wanting to play Fighter or a Ranger. ajury, since we’ve got fighters covered, are you willing to play a Ranger?

RhinoMk2 wanting to play a Fighter, Rogue or Ranger. So, RhinoMk2, since we’ve potentially got a Ranger (ajury) and Fighter (DenmarkDan and twinkle toes), would you be fine with playing a Rogue?

DM, are these all who are in our group, or are there more? Will this work, or do you want  me to scrap my Weapon Master/RunePriest, and make a Cleric or a Wizard instead? Or maybe if Dwarmaj is playing, you would like to play one of those?

Also, are we playing tonight, or not? I’d like to know so I know whether or not to make other plans?

View user profile
Oh, and I guess we need to decide whether we want to play as the Royalists or the Rebels. Personally, I am good with either option, though instinctually I would gravitate towards playing as the Rebels. Seems to me like the cause is on the Rebels' side, and that the Royalists are a bunch of racist tyrants. However, I am fine with playing either side pirat

View user profile

20 half elf ranger is fine with me on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Ill stick with distance weapons for the most part.

art.

View user profile
@DemarkDan: Sure, Rogue will work!

@Group: Can't play tonight, however - sorry! But typically Friday or Saturday nights are fine.

I'm down with either Rebels or Royalists - no pref there.

View user profile
Ok, so then we’ve got...

DenmarkDan: Fighter (Weapon Master), dual-classed with Rune Priest.
twinkle toes: Barbarian
ajury: Ranger
RhinoMk2: Rogue

Is Dwarmaj playing? If so, what class? Anyone else playing, or is that all?

Teramotos, will this work?

And we still need to pick team Royalist or team Rebels. Or Teramotos can just decide.
If we're voting, I cast my vote on team Rebels (but I'm fine with either).

View user profile

23 rebels look fun on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 pm

But good with eithor.

Art.

View user profile
Ok folks, this is what I came up with:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Heldane Half-face, level 4
Human, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Artful Dodger
Rogue Option: Scoundrel Weapon Talent
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 15
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Ref: 21 Will: 16
HP: 39 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9
TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +9, Intimidate +9, Perception +6, Stealth +12, Streetwise +9, Thievery +12
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +2, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +1, Nature +1, Religion +2
POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Positioning Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Easy Target
Rogue Utility 2: Double Take
Rogue Attack 3: Trickster's Blade
FEATS
Level 1: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Opportunity Knocks
Level 4: Versatile Duelist
ITEMS
Sentinel Marshal Honor Blade Dagger +1 x1
Battle Harness Leather Armor +1 x1
Brooch of No Regrets +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger
Shuriken
Vicious Longsword +1 x1

View user profile
I am a bit rusty on all the mechanics, so I don't know how effective this build is, but the general idea is this guy is a decent swordsman, but can also BS is way into and out trouble. I am also thinking up some ideas on his backstory. I see him as a agent for one side (probably the opposite of the side the party chooses) who was betrayed in some manner or changed sides for some reason, was captured, tortured (he didn't get the name half face for nothing) and now works for the other side.

Open to any and all feedback, please!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum