Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What D&D char are you

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: What D&D char are you on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Ross

Admin
True. We'll get back in topic.
Balance, not an issue. Never has been.

Won't have have to worry about class balancing because we won't have them.
If you can do it yourself your PC can do it.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude

27 Re: What D&D char are you on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Ross

Admin
I don't think levels will make a difference as the monsters will stay constant (Zombie's are Zombie's, Humans are Humans).

One bite from a Zombie will turn a human into a Zombie. One head shot from a Human will kill a Zombie.
I just have to figure out the rules and %'s and such.

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.

28 Re: What D&D char are you on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm a:

True Neutral Human Sorcerer/Rogue (3rd/3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 14
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 14
Intelligence- 13
Wisdom- 12
Charisma- 14

View user profile

29 Re: What D&D char are you on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Interesting discussion on balance and such.... I wasn't too surprised by my results... I'm not as smart as I thought I was and I'm "prettier" than I thought. I think I'm a bit quicker than 15, but only in certain situations.

View user profile

30 Re: What D&D char are you on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Dwarmaj wrote:The only reason our PCs can do so much damage is because of the unbalanced ability scores that Brad allows.
By 'unbalanced', I'm assuming you mean 'high'? How can anything be more balanaced than utter uniformity in PC stats?

Yeah, I don't care about balance, and never have.

View user profile

31 Re: What D&D char are you on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:56 pm

If all the PC's have all 18's, isn't that "equal"? I take it you (Ken) mean unbalanced w regard to the way the rules were designed in that many more combinations become available that otherwise would not be possible, correct? Note that since all the PC's have the same ability scores, the more numerous combos are available to all of them equally, right?

View user profile

32 Re: What D&D char are you on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Teramotos wrote:If all the PC's have all 18's, isn't that "equal"?  I take it you (Ken) mean unbalanced w regard to the way the rules were designed in that many more combinations become available that otherwise would not be possible, correct?  Note that since all the PC's have the same ability scores, the more numerous combos are available to all of them equally, right?
Yes,

In Buffyverse, Aya's Main attack is:
Brutal Brarrage +26ToHit, up to 120 without criticals.

With the same classes/items/feats in a normal campaign she'd do
+24ToHit, up to  84

Since the PCs hit more often and do substantially more damage, DMG level guidelines for monsters won't work well. Which is why the PCs have to fight monsters at least 3-4 levels higher than them. Though our defenses don't scale at the same rate.

Aya's Buffyverse defenses:37AC, 33Fort, 31Ref, 34Will
Normal stats it would be:37AC, 31Fort, 28Ref, 31Will

DMG Monster Stats:

Brad says he doesn't care about balance, but the higher stats and higher level monsters is what's causing encounters to go much longer than they should and limits the number of encounters per session.

When we first started 4.0 we use to have 30-45 minute encounters. Now they're 1-2 hours (at least they seem to go that long...)

View user profile

33 Re: What D&D char are you on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Dwarmaj wrote: encounters to go much longer than they should and limits the number of encounters per session.

When we first started 4.0 we use to have 30-45 minute encounters. Now they're 1-2 hours (at least they seem to go that long...)
Seperate issue than one PC being much stronger than another. Perhaps one worthy of concern...

View user profile

34 Re: What D&D char are you on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Ross

Admin
Yes, that is a concern of mine. I don't like an encounter to last 3 hours with the PC's not being in much danger and all we are doing is attempting to pick away at a few tough monsters.

Unlike a few of my previous adventures, my last two adventures have been exactly at EL or El+2, however, this being the last one for the Slave Ship, I didn't allow a 5 minute rest, because I knew you would all be fine without them.

With Brad's Vampire Lords, I get that they should be tough, but it gets kind of boring when we are all half asleep and just rolling for 2 hours to bring down a few high HP monsters that aren't really doing much to us.

One thing I try to do to make things more challenging, without raising the EL much, is to make the encounter, or adventure, goal oriented. Like in the last adventure you had to cast the rituals, which seemed to be challenging for the party, and the adventure before that you had to penetrate through to the bridge of a ship before it took off. It was still fighting monsters, but it seems to make the stakes a little higher than just killing an enemy.

Using higher Monster EL's is fine, but try not to pick monsters that are only taking 1/2 damage, or something that makes them twice as tough. I have done that before and when I get bored of the encounter (as a DM) I just say to myself, "Okay, the next blow kills the monster, or it surrenders." I don't think anybody gives a damn that they didn't inflict every point of damage.

35 Re: What D&D char are you on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Yep, in some of the WAR! adventures, we were able to get in six, seven or even nine encounters, yes, not all of the encounters were combats, but encounters none the less. Yes, I agree, the encounters seem much longer...

I like Ross' idea of having some "twist" in the encounter, e.g. having to stay put and cast the ritual, etc. That's what I try to do in my adventures also; e.g. not just kill the monsters, but guard a specific spot, get past the monsters by any means, kill the monsters but don't damage the boxes they are standing near, etc.

Oh, and I did just finish rating the skills for all of us, be careful to put your inputs on the TAB w your name on it.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum