Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Staking the Heart of Wolfram and Heart - Player's Comments

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Okay, just been absolutely swamped at work and doing things for the TaeKwonDo school. Posted the recap, enjoy. Brad, I had a great time, thanks! If someone who was there for the first two encounters wants to flesh out and detail my rough recap of those battles, please do. Now, I have no idea how tough the water elementals were but I'd say the the EL of the encounter had to be jacked up a bit when one of the PC's doesn't have any equipment at all because they are naked in the shower. How do you compensate for that? I guess you would only have to compensate if the encounter was really meant to push the PC's to the limit and again, since I wasn't there, I wouldn't know. Would I be correct in saying that this encounter was meant to ambush and outright kill the ambushed PC or would I be way off base?

I don't know what was more funny during the second battle, the joy of actually fighting the battle, or the conflicted look of loss on Mickey's face. For those that weren't there, Mickey authored and carefully designed the leader monster who showed up near the end of the battle. Although I don't know nearly any of the leader Vamp's stats, it was clear to me that she wasn't nearly as tough as she could have been. When she could go into melee and hit on a roll of 4 or higher and inflict an average of 50 points of damage, I would think that you'd want to wade into battle. As it was, I think she got two or three hits in. Also, it hurt that Aya was able to identify the leader Vamp immediately even though the leader was trying to blend into the crowd of minions and henchmen. By the time the leader joined the battle, most of her covering cannon fodder were already dust. Trying to use domination repeatedly when Kenneday was ready to grant Aya a save (w a big bonus) each round, just before Aya's turn, didn't seem to be the best use of the leader's efforts.

Seemed to me, that we were kind of aimless in our attack on the office building. I can't think of any other way we could have arrived at a plan quicker and I didn't see a lot of clues. We spent quite a bit of in game time floundering for the best plan of attack but I think we came up with the best plan we could have under the circumstances. Playing the Monday morning quarterback, anyone think of how we could have gotten to the vault room easier?

Now, the big battle! We were MEANT TO DIE!!! Like really, a 24th level Solo and a 28th level Elite, each with AC's and defenses in the 40's (AC 44 and AC 42) and being + 34 or more to hit and doing 50 points of damage on a hit. With Combat Advantage, I still needed a 19 or 20 to hit in order to inflict my average of 15 points of damage. It would have taken me about 500 rounds (a very long time) to get to 950 to down the first monster; and that's assuming it just let me swing on it. Anyone notice how long the last battle took? (2 hours? I really don't know). This was an EL 29 matchup. However, due to the absolutely best teamwork I've ever seen in a party, the Killer Quartet (AKA E) divided and conquered. The conjurations were totally effective in keeping the Demon at bay for the entire battle. I don't think this was arrived at by design in any way, it just spontaneously happened and turned out to be just the ticket. ...And since the monsters were basically unhittable, we had the perfect PC in Aya who did damage on a miss. Also Kenneday gave Aya some heavy (daily) blows that also dealt (half) damage on a miss. Ken also seemed to be rolling really hot, dishing out a lot of crits which shorted the battle from being potentially 250 rounds (made up number) to like only 30 rounds. The Vamp even healed a few times, either by using Second Wind, or biting PC's and draining blood so effectively, the CEO could have had like 2,000 hit points, right? As lopsided as this battle could have appeared from the start, we not only lived and utterly crushed the monsters, but I don't even think that any of use received serious damge, right?

So, by doing so well, have we set ourselves up for a TPK next adventure as the DM attempts to crank up the monsters yet another notch??

Random banter and replies are welcome....again, I had a great time and some good laughs, thanks, ST

View user profile

Ross

Admin
I wasn't there but I could also do some damage on misses and do it while stealthed.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
Teramotos wrote:
Now, the big battle! We were MEANT TO DIE!!!

Wah! No one was meant to die, you were meant to be turned away. But, I thought you'd have someone thievish break into the vault while the 2 baddies were fighting and escape into the daylight. No, I did not expect the party to beat them both...

View user profile
The water elemental encounter was definitely a bit rough on Aura as she started naked and surrounded by the enemies in an enclosed room down a narrow hallway from Ember and Aya. Fortunately her swap teleport with the spirit companion saved her from a high damage grab attack and let her maneuver enough to be backed up by the party when she was grabbed again. At that point Aya and Ember mowed down the two elementals pretty fast, which was good because Aura was totally on the defensive since she had no armor.

If Kenneday had been around she would have been the one in the shower, which might have been bad news for her unless she had comparable escape skills handy.

The second encounter I don't feel like I contributed much. But, I did at least assist in keeping Aya functional and gave her some extra swings.

The discussion before the third encounter about how to invade and escape Wolfram & Hart was fun. I feel we did pretty well by having a valid escape plan ready and knowing where our target was before we started thanks to calling in a favor with the MIB. I still think it's hilarious that Kenneday's super high charisma bonus bluff was foiled by happily talking too much while Aura's barely passable bluff check would have worked simply by being rude. When in Rome, I guess.

As for the huge fight. I am amazed it went as well as it did. Still, I think it was an optimal situation for Aura to be useful. Putting up the 7 resist all ability on everyone at the very beginning of the encounter saved a lot of HP, the slow and difficult terrain conjuration combo with Ember halted the demon's advance to a crawl, and Aya and Kenneday side by side next to the CEO meant Aura could maximize healing on them as they tackled that fight. Adding free swings or magic missiles also helped quite a bit to chip away at the health of the rarely-hittable nasties as well.

Also, I was having some pretty good luck with my spirit companion stopping enemy movement. The trainwreck of security guards that couldn't avoid it was pretty hilarious, and landing a hit on the demon as he tried to make a break for it was amazing.

All in all, a very fun night. Thanks Brad!

View user profile
bradly wrote:No one was meant to die, you were meant to be turned away. But, I thought you'd have someone thievish break into the vault while the 2 baddies were fighting and escape into the daylight.

But we didn't have any thievish types...

We had:
1 Defender
2 Leaders
1 Controller

And when was the last time the party backed down from a fight?

View user profile

The party is more likely to be TPKed then to run away from good treasure.

View user profile
Mick wrote:

The party is more likely to be TPKed then to run away from good treasure.

True & true. So far only the High Council. Not even the Queen by herself!

...Oh, and Oops! I just remembered another 'doh!' Aya's mark should have been less effective, as scrying, teleporting, & phasing are blocked on that super secure floor. We'll say that even though WR&H is considered too big and off limits for the MIB, agent K decided to defy agent J's orders and helped the Slayers when he & Lone Vengence simultaneously broke into the 9th floor (magic & relics) and the two of them caused enough mayhem to temporarily disrupt the spells protecting that floor's teleportation warding magics.

Post Script: When's everyone free to play next? The next adventure promises LOTS of good treasure (& dangers...) Very Happy

View user profile
Dwarmaj wrote:But we didn't have any thievish types...

Yeah, well, I can't know that days/weeks earlier when I plan out the encounters... Wink

View user profile
I want to hear from Mickey regarding what he thinks would have happened if he were DM'ing the encounter where he designed the leader Vamp. Mickey DM'ing and Brad playing a slayer, say a monk type.

View user profile
I would have moved Victor (the vampire) towards the demon. Two nasty monsters together can take down a slayer much faster.

View user profile
Yep, makes sense. The demon couldn't move toward the vamp, but the vamp could easily move toward the demon. Didn't the demon have reach 3? With AC 44, the party would have missed any AoO on Victor as he moved into position.

View user profile
Teramotos wrote:Yep, makes sense. The demon couldn't move toward the vamp, but the vamp could easily move toward the demon. Didn't the demon have reach 3? With AC 44, the party would have missed any AoO on Victor as he moved into position.

It may depend on the arrogance of the vampire. If he believes himself to be superior, why move to get help from the demon. He's a couple thousand years old up against a few slayers that have barely seen a couple of decades.

When he finally realized he was in danger he did try to heal and flee, but by then it was too late.

View user profile
Dwarmaj wrote:It may depend on the arrogance of the vampire. If he believes himself to be superior, why move to get help from the demon. He's a couple thousand years old up against a few slayers that have barely seen a couple of decades.

When he finally realized he was in danger he did try to heal and flee, but by then it was too late.

Yup, precisely. Aya's neck smelled so juicy! Almost had it and a surge (3rd & last one for epic NPC) in hits to flee with. But, you think the Vampire nation has been feeding off the living for longer than that... tens to even hundreds of thousands of years for the epic Vampires like Viktor. Hundreds to thousands of years for the paragon ones. Minions sired less than century ago.

Aya would recognize Viktor as one of the ancient Vampires in her days of Atlantis...

View user profile
...and you get to be as old as Viktor by falling prey to a paltry band of four young female slayers while they're busy fighting a demon at the same time? Hmmm.... jab jab jab...

View user profile
Teramotos wrote:...and you get to be as old as Viktor by falling prey to a paltry band of four young female slayers?...

Not paulty, prophesied. Smile The 12 Zodiac Slayers are literally legendary and written about in stone thousands of years ago.

Btw, I was about 70% done with a recap of last adventure myself when you posted yours so I stopped working on mine, but then I decided to finish & post mine anyway. I'll have it up before the weekend's over...

View user profile
bradly wrote:
...Oh, and Oops! I just remembered another 'doh!' Aya's mark should have been less effective, as scrying, teleporting, & phasing are blocked on that super secure floor.

You may want to only limit teleportation into/out of areas.

WotC has limited teleportation to line of sight which greatly reduces many of the abuses of the past.

Also, there are many PC classes/builds which are based on teleportation and don't function well without it.

bradly wrote:
Post Script: When's everyone free to play next? The next adventure promises LOTS of good treasure (& dangers...) Very Happy

So far no set plans...

May be a good time to contact those who don't play much and lock in a date they can play.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum