Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Multilple vulnerabilities...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Do vulnerabilities of different types stack?

Vulnerable:

Vulnerable
A creature that is vulnerable to a specified damage type usually takes a specific amount of extra damage when it takes damage of that type, or it suffers a specific effect. For example, a creature that has vulnerable 10 radiant takes 10 extra radiant damage when an attack deals radiant damage to it or when it takes ongoing radiant damage.

Against Combined Damage Types: Vulnerability to a specific damage type applies even when that damage type is combined with another. For example, if you have vulnerable 5 fire, you take 5 extra damage when you take ongoing fire and radiant damage.

Not Cumulative: Vulnerabilities to the same damage type are not cumulative. Only the highest vulnerability applies. For example, if you have vulnerable 5 psychic and then gain vulnerable 10 psychic, you have vulnerable 10 psychic, not vulnerable 15 psychic.

The rule above only goes into vulnerabilities of the same type not stacking.

Ex:
A monster is vulnerable to 5 Fire and 10 Acid.

If an attack does 10 Fire and Acid, do they take an extra 10hp (non-stacking) or 15hp (stacking)?

If the attack was only acid, they'd take +10.
If the attack was only fire, they'd take +5.

Any benefit for attacking with both acid and fire?

View user profile

2 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I'll have to look it up, but I think only the highest vulnerability applies. So, if the attack does fire and acid, the monster only takes + 10 for the acid.

View user profile

3 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Yep, I was right, Rules Compendium pg 226 - Vulnerabilities are non-cumulative...
If a creature has vulnerabilty 5 psychic and then gains vulnerable 2 to all damage, the creature still has vulnerable 5 psychic, not vulnerable 7 psychic.

I know the example above is not exactly like the original question, but I think it is a strong enough precedence to extrapolate that vulnerabilities to dissimilar damage types do not stack.

View user profile

4 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Umm, that's the exact line I already quoted above...

It states that vulnerabilities of the same type don't stack. It doesn't mention vulnerabilities of different types.

To take it the other way, resistances do kinda stack.

A creature with resistant 10 Fire still takes Fire damage if the attack did Fire and Acid. You have to resist both or your restance doesn't count.

Ex:
A monster is resist 5 Fire and 10 Acid.

If I make an attack that does 10 Acid/Cold, then they take all 10 and resist none.

Note:
Now that I think about it vulnerabilities probably shouldn't stack. Just not sure on what rule to point to.

View user profile

5 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Here's a thread on WotC Rules discussing the very same thing:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27396505/Ongoing_damage,_multiple_damage_types,_and_vulnerability?pg=1

There are people on either side and pretty much say it's a DM descision...

View user profile

6 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Hmmm...maybe my browser is old (both here and at the office) but I don't see in your original post where you quoted anything... silent

View user profile

7 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 8:52 pm

It's hidden...

I've been using spoiler tags to condense posts...

In the first post where it says "Vulnerable:" and is yellowish, click on it to expand.

I did this with my PC as well to condense large blocks or to logically separate stuff.

View user profile

8 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Okay, I see it now. That's the passage right before the passage I posted.

View user profile

9 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Still wasn't 100% sure so I sent a question off to WotC

Question:

Under Vulnerable there is an example of it not stacking for the same damage type. What about different damage types?

Example:
A monster is vulnerable to 10 Radiant and 5 Cold. An attack hits it for 10hp of Randiant&Cold.

Does the monster take 10+10=20hp (higher of the two vulnerabilities) or
Does the monster take 10+10+5=25hp (the attack damage and both vulnerabilites)?

Response:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for contacting us here at Wizards of the Coast Game Support. The monster takes 10+10+5 for the attack damage and both vulnerabilities. This is stated on page 225 of the Rules Compendium which says "Vulnerability to a specific damage type applies even when that damage type is combined with another."

If you need any further help, please feel free to reply to this email or give us a call at the appropriate number for your region listed below.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Dan
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

View user profile

10 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm

okay, I guess they stack then

View user profile

11 Re: Multilple vulnerabilities... on Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 am

Needed to be sure since it could add 5-20+ damage per round...

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum