Northwest Gamers
Welcome to the Northwest Gamers Forums. Please Login or Register.
Northwest Gamers

Forum for the Northwest Gamers

Latest topics
» Assorted loot to be divided between the War party
Yesterday at 12:38 pm by Raistlin

» 4.0 Meeting Fri Dec 15th - GAME On!
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 am by Teramotos

» Axis and Allies - Optional Unit Rules
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:15 am by Teramotos

» Rainbow Warriors Planet Ember - Magic Item Count - Adventure Notes
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm by Teramotos

» Prophecy of the Rainbow Warriors - Adventure Logs
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 pm by Teramotos

» Game On! 4.0 Meeting Friday Dec 1st Newport Hills
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am by bradly

» Next 4.0 Meeting Late Nov/ all Dec
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 am by Teramotos

» Stargate...
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am by Dwarmaj

» Friday, Nov 17th
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am by Teramotos

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 56 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

How long does it take to bind a helpless opponent?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

If I have a power that makes an opponent unconscious, can I use a minor action to take out hand cuffs, then a move to bind them? Or would it take a Standard to cuff them?

May need a second PC to put a bag over their head so they can't teleport. Twisted Evil

View user profile

Ross

Admin
If you handcuff them, or tie them up they can't teleport out of the bonds. They teleport with them. However if you have a chain attached to a wall binding them they can teleport out of that.
I suspect a standard action to tie someone up, but only thing I could find about binding is:

IMPROVISING WITH THIEVERY
        Fix a broken wagon (easy DC)
        Craft a standard lock (moderate DC)
        Bind a creature with rope (check result sets escape DC)

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
definately a minor action to take out the cuffs. Now, normally, any kind of action, even against a helpless opponent to restrain them is a standard action. Just to grab a helpless opponent would be a standard; cuffing them would be harder than grabing them. I'd have to hear a reasonable train of logic before I'd say cuffing someone is a move action. Discuss...

View user profile
Just wondering if the power is worth taking. Knocking a creature unconscious (save ends) sounds good on paper, but not sure how useful it'll be in actual play.

It's a level 15 Daily that does no damage on a hit.

We could Coup de Grace them once they're unconscious, but have to do their bloodied value in damage to instant kill them. Which may be tough against some of the tougher creatures we've run across...

View user profile
Hmmm...okay, what about this...if a PC is dying, and another PC is four squares away, can they: Move Action, move into the dying PC's square - Minor Action, grab hold of the dying PC - Standard Action, drag dying PC three squares as a Move Action? It's a minor action to pick up an object off the ground, right? Does it follow that picking up a dying PC is also a minor action?

Now, if picking up a dying (e.g. helpless PC, or any other creature for that matter) is a minor action, is hand cuffing a helpless creature a minor action? I'd still have to say "no" because if you're grabbing (picking up) a dying creature, you really don't care too much where you grab them; i.e. the shoulder, the arm, a foot, etc. Ideally, if you have the time, you'd grasp the back of thier shirt to make pulling them easier.

Okay, now that I've said all that, if you're picking up a weapon, especially a sword, you'll want to pick it up by the grip (a specific place) so is the preciseness involved in picking up a sword that much less than hand cuffing a helpless creature? It's a close call, but I'd still say that hand cuffing is a standard action...further discussion?

View user profile

Ross

Admin
Binding should be a standard action. It's detailed work like using the Thievery Skill.

Danilo Rand - Monk/Human [5e-Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign]
Nathan Grey - Ardent (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Walt Dixon - Bladesinger (4e-Terran One Campaign)
Battlefield 4 Soldier: Saturnicus
Diablo III Battletag: Saturnus#1572
Neverwinter: @bobpatrick.com
XBox GamerTag: Drizityn

Kazoo the Kender: "Hmm, I'll take....the Wand of Wonder." The rest of the party regretted giving Kazoo the first treasure pick.
View user profile http://twitter.com/NWGamerDude
Ross wrote:Binding should be a standard action. It's detailed work like using the Thievery Skill.

Concur. I can see however, how modern handcuffs might be an exception. They're made to hit the wrist and self lock.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum